aquarium silicone VS. regular Home Depost Silicone?

rocknut

Rocky
Is there really a difference? Both say "100% Silicone", but of course the $2.00 tube at Home Depot says, not for aquarium use. Hate to go spend $8.00 on another tube of "aquarium silicone" if I don't have to.
Thanks,
Rocky

Some of the HD and other brand companies add anti-mildew and other additives to their silicone which obviously can be bad for livestock:)

As reefnetworth stated, as long as it's 100%, your good. But I have never seen 100% in HD. I did find GE aquarium stuff at Wally World in a tube though.

OK, so just check the ingredients on the back, and just be sure nothing else is listed other than silicone?

GE use to have a couple of types that were suitable for aquarium use , but last time I went to HD looking for it every single tube had some sort of BIOGuard in it. Dap still had a 100% silicone product.

Be careful though, it is legal to advertise 100% pure silicone on the package if the Silicone you used in making your product is 100% pure silicone, however it may be 97% pure silicone, 2% color pigment, 1% BioGuard.

think- is it better to get 8 dollors of silicone or take the chance of hundreds of dollors of corals dieing if it is not aquarium safe?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9889309#post9889309 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Icefire
GE Silicone I door&windows is safe

Yep.

I have 1/2 a tube of that stuff used up for my sump baffles.

I totally agree that it isn't worth taking a chance with the cheaper silicone, that's why I haven't ever used anything except the expensive stuff. At the same time, I don't want to waste money if all silicone's are the same (which I now know isn't the case.) Thanks for all the help everyone!

Back