Aquarium too big to get out of basement!!

pvan

Hi.

I just bought a house with an approximately 550 gallon Clarity Plus aquarium (approx 72"W x 48"H x 36"D) 1" thick acrylic in the basement.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time or money to maintain it properly.

I managed to get in touch with the builder of the house (who had the tank originally installed several years ago). He cautioned me against trying to get the tank out of the basement in one piece. He said he brought it down with 11 guys and before the walls were finished.

Questions...
Does an aquarium have any value if it is dismantled (so that it can be removed)? Any suggestions on who might be interested in such a project?

(or) If I leave it empty for some period of time... until I have more time and money (-: ... or at least until my boys are older and can take up as a hobby... will this compromise the integrity of the tank in any way?

Any expertise really appreciated!

pvan I have the opposite problem. I just bought a new house and with a bend in the staircase I just can't get a big tank down there.

Leaving it empty won't hurt it.

I would think someone would be interested in taking it apart, hauling it out and puting it back together.

I would be interested myself but 48" is way too tall-very hard to work in.
Good luck.

You should be able to take a circular saw with a carbide blade to it. Cut the pieces as close to the seems as possible so that someone can cut them square, joint them, and bond them like new. The overall dimensions will be smaller, but there's no reason the tank can't be as good as new. Or, just sell the sheets off separately.

You might figure out the ballpark sizes after cut, and then post them up on craigslist to see if there is any interest.

where are you located and have you measured the path to see if it is possible to take the tank out. I may be willing to help you get it out

where are you located and have you measured the path to see if it is possible to take the tank out. I may be willing to help you get it out

Re: Aquarium too big to get out of basement!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10412952#post10412952 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pvan
Hi.

I just bought a house with an approximately 550 gallon Clarity Plus aquarium (approx 72"W x 48"H x 36"D) 1" thick acrylic in the basement.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time or money to maintain it properly.

I managed to get in touch with the builder of the house (who had the tank originally installed several years ago). He cautioned me against trying to get the tank out of the basement in one piece. He said he brought it down with 11 guys and before the walls were finished.

Questions...
Does an aquarium have any value if it is dismantled (so that it can be removed)? Any suggestions on who might be interested in such a project?

(or) If I leave it empty for some period of time... until I have more time and money (-: ... or at least until my boys are older and can take up as a hobby... will this compromise the integrity of the tank in any way?

Any expertise really appreciated!

I feel your pain. There's no way I could start a 500+ gallon reef at this point in time.
Why not just fill it with fresh water, get a pair of Oscars and an Arrowanna in there with some basic HOB filtration? That way you have this huge tank to make a reef out of when you're ready, but you're not looking at an empty tank until then.

Back