Aquascape advice

TJD*

Been mostly out of the game for years. Rather than taking down tank, rebuilding from ground up. Any suggestions, advice, or other input would be appreciated. I’m looking for some fresh eyes. Trying to balance flow, habitat, and looks for aquascape.
Thanks!
First setup
EADFF429-957E-4DB4-93C1-8687BD45A93A.jpeg

Rounds 2
6C0EB2B0-0415-47D5-9C68-2160FD9DA6CD.jpeg

Last edited:
What are you planning on keeping? What lighting? Are those power filters hanging in the back? Do you have a sump, skimmer?

Was mainly leaning towards lps/soft corals, but may integrate some sps. Have a few fish in mind, but nothing major. Have an AI prime and current strip. Another AI is on the way. Have a hang on skimmer (aqua max) and power filter on back.

Was mainly leaning towards lps/soft corals, but may integrate some sps. Have a few fish in mind, but nothing major. Have an AI prime and current strip. Another AI is on the way. Have a hang on skimmer (aqua max) and power filter on back.
May reintegrate my sump at some point, but currently looking at adding a top off system. Know the hang ons can be unsightly, but has worked so far since I downgraded system due to moves.

Your lighting is good for pretty much anything. The reason I like the top one is because of the two pom poms in the center. Think about the flow if you go sps. I'm a big fan of sumps. You can hide stuff and the stand can help with sound.

90 gallon. Have about 150 lbs of Legos to play with. It’s been a bit of a rabbit hole, probably on round 8 honestly. I really appreciate the input. Needed
some new perspectives.

Have a GSP rock with magnet on back wall. May look at building an island between 2 main structures.

90 gallon. Have about 150 lbs of Legos to play with. It’s been a bit of a rabbit hole, probably on round 8 honestly. I really appreciate the input. Needed
some new perspectives.
lol, sounds like you are like me, never happy with your aquascape😂

I like the second, my only concern would be ensuring the overhangs are stable enough to support coral weight so they don’t break

I'd think about flow. Add a couple of gyres (or mp40's) and watch for dead spots. Focus on turbulent, not laminar flow.

Oh, and I like the second layout better. Go with what you like, but think about what you plan to place in the tank and where it will reside.

lol, sounds like you are like me, never happy with your aquascape😂
Yeah, it’s been a process. I’ve resorted to sorting rocks by size and function.
I like the second, my only concern would be ensuring the overhangs are stable enough to support coral weight so they don’t break
I have a couple fiberglass rods connecting to large overhang. Sawed off bottom of large rocks and superglued/epoxyed them to flat base rocks. It’s still a concern though, may create an “island” to connect/provide support for large over hang.

Attachments

• BCA7E9BA-9007-4C54-AB57-17D1A89D3174.jpeg
    BCA7E9BA-9007-4C54-AB57-17D1A89D3174.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
I'd think about flow. Add a couple of gyres (or mp40's) and watch for dead spots. Focus on turbulent, not laminar flow.

Oh, and I like the second layout better. Go with what you like, but think about what you plan to place in the tank and where it will reside.
Thank you for the advice. Was looking in that direction, but currently working with what I have on hand for now.
10-4, plan for the future.

The first one is cool because it looks like two creatures about to fight over a freaky-deaky shrub. Demon dog on the left, insane penguin on the right. I like it because it's unique.

The second one is cool because it looks like an outcropping that could naturally occur somewhere.

Did you decide on one?

I like the first one... the blueish water and rock is is prettier than the brownish rock. 😜

I would go with the first one. When it grows in, you will have a natural cave or two and more space for unshaded coral. Second one will end up with large areas in the sand in shadow (like a big reef overhang if that is what you want.)

Last edited:
The first one is cool because it looks like two creatures about to fight over a freaky-deaky shrub. Demon dog on the left, insane penguin on the right. I like it because it's unique.

The second one is cool because it looks like an outcropping that could naturally occur somewhere.

Did you decide on one?

Back