Aquatic Life Twist-In 100 GPD 4-Stage RO/DI System

ReefKeeper64

Wanna be a reefkeeper
Hey everyone, I'm shopping for a new RODI unit and saw this one at marine depot. Looking for feedback so if you have one and can share personal experience good or bad, please let me know.

Thanks!
Chris

I have one - I love it but for one thing. It is very intolerant of temperature. I live in MN and once is got cold, the output dropped to almost nothing. I ended up plumbing my hot and cold together and the temp was about eighty degrees and it went back to normal. It's a nice system but if your incoming is below 70 the output sucks. I tried calling them about this and all you can reach is a message. YES, they did call me back but I couldn't answer at the time, so the process starts all over again.

SO, yes it works great but customer service sucks.
IT works best in summer but sucks in winter.
It's cheap... at this point.
My output TDS is "0" so this is good but I wonder how temperature affects this.

I've never had an RO system this sensitive to temperature. They should fix this.

By the way - when I was troubleshooting the output volume issue, I pulled the membrane and tried to drain it of the cold water. The water was "VERY" Brown in color. WHY, would any water in an RO system be brown? Still working on that one. It wasn't brown when it went in, so why would it be brown when it came out?

Once I pulled the membrane and put in the bypass cartridge, the flow was back to normal so the temperature of the water through the membrane was definitely at issue.

Last edited:
I would never purchase one with filters like that..
Instead get one that takes standard 2.5 x 10" filters.. Your choices are much better that way and its probably cheaper in the long run..

Thanks windlasher. I wasn't expecting feedback about cold temps but then again, that's why I asked as an open ended question. It sure what the brown is about. Perhaps someone else who is a water filter expert will know.

I ordered the 4 stage yesterday and am looking forward to trying the twist on setup.

Thanks windlasher. I wasn't expecting feedback about cold temps but then again, that's why I asked as an open ended question. It sure what the brown is about. Perhaps someone else who is a water filter expert will know.

I ordered the 4 stage yesterday and am looking forward to trying the twist on setup.

Sorry to necro this thread but I just ordered one tonight and was wondering how it's working out for you 4 months later?

Sorry to necro this thread but I just ordered one tonight and was wondering how it's working out for you 4 months later?

I have it now and its on my todo list to get it installed. I should have the installation completed within a few more days and will let you know more once I have something for you.

I can tell you that my local LFS has started keeping them in stock and says they sell well for him. The parts and cartridges looks solid and the from what I have read, the cartridges are said to have a long lifespan that is par with other brands. The twist on/off feature is what sold me though. :beer:

I would never purchase one with filters like that..
Instead get one that takes standard 2.5 x 10" filters.. Your choices are much better that way and its probably cheaper in the long run..

What mcgyvr said, x 1000

Standard size cartridges are available everywhere and at a very reasonable price. You will be stuck with whatever aquaticlife has at whatever price they sell them for.

jm.02

FWIW - www.buckeyehydro.com is my go-to for all my water purification needs

I believe in honest and open discussions and know how to handle flamers and trolls. What i can't handle is backdoor politics.

I believe in honest and open discussions and know how to handle flamers and trolls. What i can't handle is backdoor politics.

Could you expand on this? Nobody has either flamed or trolled you, and I fail to see any "backdoor politics"

mcgyvr and I have given you good, solid advice that will, in the long run (and probably the short run as well), serve you well.

I am using Twist-in system since April, and it worked well so far. The winter here is mild so that I hope my system will continue to work well.

The twist-in system is a blessing for someone like me - small woman with no muscle power - or someone with arthritis. I used to struggle with the standard 5 stage system every three months.

Their customer service has been great. They answer my question promptly every time with good suggestions. However, the life of the cartridges are shorter than they claim (6 months). My cartridges were spent well before that. My water is medium hard with TDS of 120 and no chloramine. I will be changing my pre filters every three months and see how long the membrane will last. I will also install my old dual in-line TDS meters after I figure out how to calibrate it.

Your experience with the short life of the proprietary cartridges echo a lot of the sound advice given by McGyver and billdogg. Although for you it may be covenient in the ease of replacing the cartridges, in the long run it will cost you. The cartridge life is short lived and expensive because they are proprietary to the AL Twist In.

In the long run, an RODI unit that uses standard cartridges will be cheaper and way more efficient to run.

Thank you for your input.

Even though it is expensive, I have no choice due to my limitations of being small and weak.
I am sure there are other people such as people with arthritis who would really like to use a system like this. I wish other manufacturer would offer standard RODI system with easy-to-open canisters.

Being small, I could not open any of my canisters by myself. I had to rely on my husband every time. When my old BRS DI canister refused to open even with my husband trying hard to open it, I decided to give up on the standard system.

After running these twist on rodi cartridges for a few months now, I can say that these are working out well. I ordered a dual tds meter to monitor both the incoming and outgoing water. The system removes dissolved solids from 100+ Tds and PO4 .28 incoming down to 0-1 tds and PO4 of 0.00 outgoing. You can’t beat the twist on feature. It’s convenient. I’m sure the competition will balk and trash talk but these do have an appeal for some including myself. I’m satisfied with it.

My needs anymore are small I only have a 40 cube and I order the above and for someone that only needs 15 to 20 gl a month they are great. More expensive yes convenient easy to install and maintain yes. I am not saying you cant do better like the other have stated, but for small requirements they work well..

Mark

Back