Aquaticlife Light Fixture Tripping GFI

Tradewinds

Just purchased an Aquaticlife T5 12 bulb fixture which is tripping the GFI when both the Blues and Whites are turned on at the same time.

It is the only thing plugged into the dedicated 15-amp outlet. I encounter the same problem on two other dedicated 15-amp outlets, which are protected by GFI with no other load. All three GFI are new.

As a test, I ran a 5-horse vacuum and heat gun on all three of the circuits without tripping the GFI.

Could the light be bad or is there something else I should be looking into?

The light functions properly if plugged into a standard 15-amp outlet.

Last edited:
First, I would like to state that Aquaticlife has given me the best customer service that I have seen, since I don't know when.

Update:
Per the mfg suggestion I tried using a dedicated 20-amp circuit, (breaker, and heavier gauge wire) with a 20-amp GFCI - which tripped as well. I wouldn't think the variance to trip the GFCI would be any different between a 15-amp and a 20-amp GFCI, but I am not an electrician and wanted to exhaust all possibilities.

Aquaticlife then shipped out a new light, which was tested and worked correctly in their shop on a 15-amp GFCI, but I encountered the same problem when the light was introduced to my environment.

Aquaticlife suggested that I try a 3-prong to 2-prong electrical adapter to see if there may be a problem with the ground. The light works as designed when the ground is bypassed. I guess it is possible that I have some stray voltage running through the ground, which is causing the problem.

For the time being I wonder if it is safe to run the light on a 15-amp GFCI outlet, using the 3-prong to 2-prong electrical adapter, which bypasses the ground. The long term solution will be to see if anything strange is happening with the house's electrical ground and correct it if need be.

Back