Aquavitro Salinity salt

A local fish store has or had a bunch of it. I was using Tropic Marin Pro Reef but this made more and he was running a special. I also like the idea of the lab test on the bucket. The name of the store is Reef Coral in Baton Rouge. You may see if he would send you some.

A local fish store has or had a bunch of it. I was using Tropic Marin Pro Reef but this made more and he was running a special. I also like the idea of the lab test on the bucket. The name of the store is Reef Coral in Baton Rouge. You may see if he would send you some.

i purchased a bucket and made a few water changes already. i like it alot. I have been using h20cean for over a year. The levels are nice and high and i dont have to worry about dosing. The only thing i didnt like about the salt, After you airate it for about 12-24 hrs. it still takes about an hour for it to clear up in your display. I wrote to seachem about it, and its the way the salt is coz of the compressed elements.

I checked it for magnesium, with the elos test kit and the numbers were really good. I got a 1350 ppm magnesium level so i was impressed. where im buying it from it costs me 120 per pail. So i have to see if its worth it price wise.

Funny you should ask that. They seem to be as lost as Brightwell when it comes to real chemisty :)

Calcium: target 422 mg/L, range 409 to 435 mg/L
Magnesium: target 1336 mg/L, range 1296 to 1376 mg/L
Strontium: target 8.4 mg/L, range 8.1 to 8.7 mg/L

Alkalinity and pH values vary widely over the Earth's oceans. salinityâ„¢ will be within the following ranges:
pH: 8.4 to 8.6
Alkalinity: 3.2 to 3.8 meq/

and

Using EPA Standard Method 6010 Salinity is guaranteed to mix at:

* 8.8 pH
* 9.8 dkH
* 1265 ppm Magnesium
* 437 ppm Calcium
* 383 ppm Potassium

But they are not saying at what Sg or Salinity.

Why is their Mg++ so far off ? If they claim +/- 3 % Ca++ and Mg++ why is the Mg so low in that data set@ 1265 but according to them they are +/- 3 % of 1336 mg/L /

Maybe because they have removed that EPA std from their website :)

salinityâ„¢ by aquavitro
salinityâ„¢ is a blend of salts specifically formulated for the reef aquarium that contains all ... Another first in the industry. *EPA Standard Method 6010 ...
www.aquavitro.com/Products/salinity.html - Cached

Then they tell to do this;

http://www.aquavitro.com/Products/salinity.html

To prepare small quantities, bring 35 grams of salinityâ„¢ up to a volume of 1 liter, or add 36.27 grams to 1 liter of water

They tell you the hydration rate is only 0.5 % Salinity at 35 PPT. That means 35 g in 965 ml of water will yield 34.8 ppt.

So, it seems their claim of this is correct, with the +/- 3 % range figured in

Calcium: target 422 mg/L, range 409 to 435 mg/L
Magnesium: target 1336 mg/L, range 1296 to 1376 mg/L
Strontium: target 8.4 mg/L, range 8.1 to 8.7 mg/L

Then they say;

Measure the salinity. We recommend a salinity of 35"°. If you are using a temperature compensated refractometer, this will be a density of 1.0260 kg/L

Last time I checked, yesterday, unless things have changed, the Density of Seawater at 25 C = 1.0233. Them, like Brightwell, STILL do not understand that Density is not the same thing as Sg ;)

Then the next stupid thing they say is this

There are tables available that convert specific gravity to density, and density to salinity, but we find the following formula will yield a value for S (salinity) accurate to within 1%:
S = [0.3348 * T] + [1325 * H] - 1330.4525
where S is the salinity in parts per thousand; T is temperature in degrees centigrade (range of 13-30 °C); and H is the uncorrected hydrometer reading for a hydrometer calibrated at 15.56 °C (60 °F). If you don't mind an error on the order of ±3%, simply use the following table:

Show me one reefer, I'm sure there are a hand-full of them world wide :) that uses a Lab hydrometer calibrated to 60 F. We almost all use hydrometers cal @ 75 F or 77F.

Then there is this

Salinity-Salt-Analysis.jpg

WOW, are those HM high compared to their Reef Salt. And this, the EPA std has been removed from the website also.

They seem to be as lost as Brightwell when it comes to real chemisty

Alkalinity and pH values vary widely over the Earth’s oceans. salinity™ will be within the following ranges:
pH: 8.4 to 8.6
Alkalinity: 3.2 to 3.8 meq/

Those pH and alk values, in particular, are quite at odds with the reality of the ocean. I don't think alk varies much, and is never that high.

The density thing is laughable. Or sad, depending on your viewpoint.

Yah Randy I just let that Alk an pH slide. I know of nowhere in the open ocean where they are in that range. I think they are just trying to give us extra Alk and pH

What salinity did that 1350 ppm come from?

The bucket i have has a minimum of 1296 ppm and a max of 1376 ppm, NSW is 1336 ppm for magnesium. I read what u mentioned about borates so seachem is not the salt for you, What are the effects of borates in a salt mix, and also why is 50 ppm of copper bad in salt. I appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance.

Burton

The bucket i have has a minimum of 1296 ppm and a max of 1376 ppm,

That is only what they claim but not that is not so.

NSW is 1336 ppm for magnesium

What they did was take a bunch of really old data and took the avg and are calling that NSW @ 35 ppt

http://www.aquavitro.com/Support/MajorIonsSalinity.pdf

Actually NSW @ 35 ppt is not 1336 ppm but 1336 mg / l . When one starts to get high in Mg / l one needs to... mg / l / Density 1.0233 @ 25 C = ppm

ppm = Mg++ mg / l / 1.0233 @ 25 C =1336 / 1.0233 = 1305 ppm

But most of us just say that ppm = mg /l, as it is close enough

NSW @ 35 ppt = 52.7 mmol/kg, which is ~ 1280 ppm or 1310 mg / l as a std by MBARI. With that said, there are many ref on ions in seawater given books and the net and not all of them conform to 1280 ppm. Some go into the low 1300's. It is a matter where one gets the data from. So, SeaChem's data is fine for NSW IMHO for things like Ca++, Mg++, Sr++, K+ and B

u mentioned about borates so seachem is not the salt for you, What are the effects of borates in a salt mix,

The Boron (B) in this salt is just fine and is equal to NSW, as far as I'm concerned, which is 4- 6 ppm and they are at 5 pppm. The issue here, was SeaChems' other salt, where Boron was originally 8 x. They have now brought that one now down to about 3 x about a year or so ago. Their claim was high B will help keep Mg++ in solution better so there is limited abiotic preicp. But hey had no data or evidence that it did. High Boron is toxic and there is no sound reason or need to have it above NSW. It is also part of the buffer system and when it is high it skews your Alk test reading. Matter of fact, it was so bad they had to make up a table for "skew" correctness for testing Alk.

why is 50 ppm of copper bad in salt

First it is 50 ppb or 0.05 ppm and not 50 ppm :)

Copper is very toxic to inverts and theirs is the highest I have ever seen in a salt mix. Highlander has a post/thread here on Copper toxicity. When I heard of this new salt I had very high hopes but their HM are way out of line compared to other salt mixes. Their salt looks good except for the high HM. The bad thing, as I see it, is they wanted to go the extra yard and make the best salt ever, a Cadillac salt and then screwed it up with heavy metals (HM ), that are way to high for any salt, let alone a supposed high quality salt. The total copper in NSW as 0.0001 ppm - .00002 ppm = 0.1 ppb - 0.2 ppb

50 ppb x .2 ppb = 250 times higher than NSW,. Many reefs tanks run well below 50 ppb, as do all salts. The highest salt mix tested is ~ 15 ppb and they are 3 x any salt tested.

I know this is several days behind, but since seeing the topic I have tried to find the HM contents posted above on their website and on my bucket of Salinity. I can't find that info anywhere. Is the 50 ppb something you tested on your own Boomer? I've been using this salt now for several months and have been very happy with my growth as opposed to my previous salt however am considering not buying it again if the HM listed are accurate.

Is the 50 ppb something you tested on your own Boomer?

No, that is what SeaChem tested and says it is. SeaChem use to have this on their website

Salinity-Salt-Analysis.jpg

I am bummed about SeaChem's apparent sketchiness about their salt products. I am a big fan of Cupramine and have also used purigen with pretty good success.

What gives?

Back