Are Hawkfish easy to keep? Jumpers?

Zionas

Hi, I am wondering if hawkfish are easy to keep, whether they're easy to feed, and whether they're frequent jumpers. How long can they live?

I'm considering getting one. It's a choice between the Falco, Coral, Flame and Longnose.

Easy to keep - yes.
Jumpers - not particularly.

The biggest issue with them is that they are predators and will eat whatever they can swallow. Shrimp and small fish won't last long with a hawkfish in the tank.
The only ones I would consider are the the longnose and the flame hawkfish because they they are relatively small and have smaller mouths than the rest of the gang.
The longnose is probably the safest of all the hawkfish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Got a flame for the last couple years. Great fish full of personality. Never seen him aggressive toward anything including invertebrates.

Awesome. Seems I’ll stick to a Flame or Longnose. I’d love to hear more about your experiences with their diet and whether they jump / carpet surf. I’m asking because in other places I have read multiple horror stories of people’s Hawkfish jumping to their deaths while they were out or just doing something else. From the videos I’ve watched, some of them do like to “climb” their way near the water’s surface, which makes me worried.

Flames are great. Hop around. Longnose are a good fish but I have had a couple jump out so I gave up on them.

I've had several flame hawks over the years with a couple incidents. One of my flame hawks ate my medium sized cleaner shrimp. I didn't catch him in the act, but the tentacles hanging from his mouth was proof enough for me. 🤣. Another one I had became a snack for the dog when it jumped out of the tank while I was cleaning it. I love them so much, though. So much personality! Just make sure the tank is covered. Most fish can potentially jump, so it's a good idea anyway.

BTW, hawkfish can change sexes in any direction so making pairs is generally quite easy.
Got to find the research paper later today to provide the link.

For those whose jumped, did you have a tank with an open top? Did you startle then while you were cleaning tank or maybe they were startled by their tank mates?

For those whose jumped, did you have a tank with an open top? Did you startle then while you were cleaning tank or maybe they were startled by their tank mates?
They need to be chased to jump.

Had a flame hawk and never saw anyone chase it ever. My tanks are covered now. Just not worth losing fish with out a cover as any can jump.

BTW, hawkfish can change sexes in any direction so making pairs is generally quite easy.
Got to find the research paper later today to provide the link.

That's interesting to know as I would like to pair my flame hawk.looking forward to the link.

That’s interesting to know as I would like to pair my flame hawk.looking forward to the link.

Flame hawks (Neocirrhites armatus) should be easy as there is actually a little sexual dichromatism:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Seems one of the sexes (male?) has a little more black and a more vibrant red.
BTW, if LiveAquaria can pair them in such numbers it is usually fairly easy.

Attachments

• lg-0330201-142p.jpg
    lg-0330201-142p.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1
  • lg-0330201-146p.jpg
    lg-0330201-146p.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1
  • lg-0330201-173p.jpg
    lg-0330201-173p.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1
.... One of my flame hawks ate my medium sized cleaner shrimp. I didn't catch him in the act, but the tentacles hanging from his mouth was proof enough for me. 🤣. ...

That's how you catch them in the act :D

[MENTION=328903]ThRoewer[/MENTION] Nice! Thanks for letting me know. I might consider getting a pair, but do they have to be a bonded pair at the time of purchase?

What’s your opinion of the other hawks like Coral and Falco? Or even the Blood Red?

2 of them will become a bonded pair.
I would only recommend the longnose or the flame hawk. Even the flame hawk might already be a risk for smaller tankmates. The other may eat whatever they can swallow - which is far more than you might think. And fish like gobies are just the right shape to go down easy...

They're awesome fish, and really pretty. In my opinion they're hardy and pretty much just hang out; but say bye to your shrimps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back