Are maroon clowns generally more aggressive?

AquaSeahorse

I have a pair of false percs in my 75g, but I've been really contemplating trading them in for some maroon clowns. I think I like the maroons a lot more than the percs. I tend to stare at them while at the LFS.

I dont think I'd have a problem, but I do not want to run into an agression issue by introducing new clowns to an established tank. I bet catching the percs in order to trade them would be a real PITA.

The percs that I have now are pretty agressive, so I could not imagine something worse. They killed six chromis!

I have a pair of maroon clowns and I would never put another clown or clown-like fish in the tank with them. The female is almost 6 inches long and is mean as hell.

If I get maroon clowns, I would get rid of the percs. I know I cannot mix them. I was wondering if I"d have agression issues toward any other fish. I have a yellow tang, firefish, midas blenny, diamond goby, and flame angel.

Definately more mean than percs, when I had mine the female would always pick on my yellow tang. Then they started breeding and I saw a whole new level of aggression at which point I got rid of them.

I think you'd have too many complications with the maroon. The others are very right about adult size and temperment. I've got one that I've raised for 12 years now and she tries to kill me every time I stick my hand in the tank.

She is no longer afraid of the scraper blade...

Re: Are maroon clowns generally more aggressive?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15743144#post15743144 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaSeahorse
I have a pair of false percs in my 75g, but I've been really contemplating trading them in for some maroon clowns. I think I like the maroons a lot more than the percs. I tend to stare at them while at the LFS.

I dont think I'd have a problem, but I do not want to run into an agression issue by introducing new clowns to an established tank. I bet catching the percs in order to trade them would be a real PITA.

The percs that I have now are pretty agressive, so I could not imagine something worse. They killed six chromis!

I have a 4" maroon that is a model citizen as long as I do not add another clown. I tried it once, the other lasted about 1/2 hour.

I have a Maroon pair with Yellow Tang, Singapore Angel, Blue Devil Damsel, Lawnmower Blenny and two Mandarin Dragonets. The only aggression the female shows is towards the Blue Devil Damsel and she makes the odd run at the Lawnmower Blenny when he cruises near the BTA the pair hosts in. My hand is also a target from time to time, but I must say, she's not that bad and has only actually hit me once, without doing much harm. The Blue Devil Damsel continually smacks my hand when I'm in there, but he's much smaller than the female Maroon, so it's just a nuisance and doesn't hurt. The female Maroon and Blue Devil were the first fish in the tank. The Yellow Tang and Singapore Angel are close to the same size as the female Maroon, although they were bigger when I introduced them. The Maroon caught up quickly once I managed to pair her off with a small companion. Both the Tang & Angelfish are free to cruise quite close to the anemone without the slightest hint of aggression from the female Maroon. The dragonets are also ignored. The pair spawned twice last April but hasn't since then, not sure why.

Hard to say how things will work out in your situation, just thought you might benefit from my personal experience. Since they will be the newcomers in your system, that should work in your favor as far as the aggression issue. If you really like Maroons, then I'd say go for it. Sounds like you're 90% of the way there if you're constantly ogling them at the LFS. I couldn't imagine my tank without them.

well i had a white stiped female maroon clown about 5 inches in with a some small fish in a 29g and she didnt bother a thing

i had a female gold striped maroon about 6 inches who was mostly well behaved in a 7ft tank

my pre spawing aged pair of white stripped maroon clowns will attack anything that goes near thier small territory in a 215g including a tangs, large angels and triggers including a med/large clown trigger

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15744601#post15744601 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agreeive?fish
well i had a white stiped female maroon clown about 5 inches in with a some small fish in a 29g and she didnt bother a thing

i had a female gold striped maroon about 6 inches who was mostly well behaved in a 7ft tank

my pre spawing aged pair of white stripped maroon clowns will attack anything that goes near thier small territory in a 215g including a tangs, large angels and triggers including a med/large clown trigger

I have 1 false perc that is just a Beotch. Bites me wherever I put my hand. My maroon in the other tank ignores me.

Re: Are maroon clowns generally more aggressive?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15743144#post15743144 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaSeahorse
Are maroon clowns generally more aggressive?

Yes.

I actually had one that was so big and aggressive that she claimed half of my 240-gallon tank as hers, and she would "rearrange" my rocks and corals to her liking. She would also bite the hell out of my hands (especially on the webbing in between my fingers), and she drew blood fairly regularly.

When they're young, they're not so bad, but once they get big... look out!

I have a pair of maroon clowns the female is about 3 1/2 inches and the male is about 2 and she has her favorites in the tank , if the wrasse comes to visit her side of the tank he is chased away. If he continues to visit then she throws a tantrum and swims to his house and makes a huge sandstorm. If I have my hand in the tank I know she wants to bite me but she hasn't yet. She does what she wants and I kind of like it that way.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15749603#post15749603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hiero4life
I have a pair of maroon clowns the female is about 3 1/2 inches and the male is about 2 and she has her favorites in the tank , if the wrasse comes to visit her side of the tank he is chased away. If he continues to visit then she throws a tantrum and swims to his house and makes a huge sandstorm. If I have my hand in the tank I know she wants to bite me but she hasn't yet. She does what she wants and I kind of like it that way.

Wait until she wants to start biting you. ;)

My female is actually fine with my hand on its own, but if I'm holding a rock, coral, scrubbing pad or even have a glove on she goes nuts. It hurts.

The worst is when they bite the webbing between your fingers and then rake you with their gills on the way out. I've bled from 3 places from the same bite! I was so mad, I pinned the old maroon with a stainless blade for a few seconds and she still came up fighting.

and she's still not afraid of the scraper blade!

Then again, I have another maroon that is just a big dumb happy puppy...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15752976#post15752976 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TampaSnooker
The worst is when they bite the webbing between your fingers and then rake you with their gills on the way out. I've bled from 3 places from the same bite! I was so mad, I pinned the old maroon with a stainless blade for a few seconds and she still came up fighting.

and she's still not afraid of the scraper blade!

Then again, I have another maroon that is just a big dumb happy puppy...

I have the big dumb happy puppy kind. I like those.

Back