Are my rocks too...ahhh....clean?

Palting

My rocks all started live in my tank, oldest is 9 months old, a few were added later and are 7 months old. I see pics of tanks younger than mine, and their rocks are all colorful! Mine look like they are in a hospital ward somewhere, mostly devoid of color. I do have red and pink coraline, as well as a smattering blue and green, mostly on the lower rocks and under shade. I'd even welcome some green GHA, but don't seem to have any. Tank is as you see in the pic. Nitrate and phos are 0, Ca 420-440, alk 7.4-8.3, recently started 2 part dosing.

Is my water too clean? I have progressively finer layers for mechanical filtration, plus skimmer for 300 gal. Have started feeding more than usual, and seeing some dirty brown algae, but that's it.

Or am I worrying needlessly, and just have to fill the rocks with coral to get color? All the livestock seem to be growing and thriving, except maybe a colt and GSP.

Here are some pics. Thanks!
IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

Just takes time. I'm in the same boat cuz I used my old rock from years ago, and added some pre-cured live to help color it up.

Thanks for the replies. I do have coraline, just doesn't seem to be spreading fast enough. I must just be impatient. Lets go, coraline, c'mon already!! :bounce3:

I have the same problem. The top side of my rocks isn't as colorful as when I set the system up in June. I have lots of coraline in the shade. I just wish I could add corals at the rate you have been lately ;) I'd have lots of color in my little tank now.

Do you have an urchin? They love to eat coraline.

No, no urchins, and never will, particularly for that reason.

I have the same problem. The top side of my rocks isn't as colorful as when I set the system up in June. I have lots of coraline in the shade. I just wish I could add corals at the rate you have been lately ;) I'd have lots of color in my little tank now.

The lfs is right on my way home from work, and I am just human and weak-willed, as well as impatient :).

The black sand makes the rock look whiter than they are. Like said above, it will pink up with time.

Nice tank by the way!

Mine's the same. My tank is three years old, but had a crash a year ago. I have almost no purple coraline on the rocks but have it all over the glass and the baffles in the sump. Pretty much everywhere but the topside of the rocks. I run a kalk reactor and dose so there's plenty there for coralline to grow it just doesn't. The corals all grow really well so I am not complaining too much.

if your ALK and CA are fine get a test and dose Magnesium... then when it takes off and covers everything remember to NOT blame me for your 3 hour scraping marathons.

I didnt see in your original post what your mag was at. As you have probably read mag n cal have everything to do with eachother. Just because your dosing 2 part doesnt mean you started at the correct params to begin with and all your doing is increasing both levels at the same time and not correcting the underlying issue.

Try increasing mag by a little and then continue your normal dosing regimen. I bet the corraline takes off in no time flat.

Sent from my overpriced phone using Tapatalk

I don't want to hijack Palting's thread, but I did tests this morning on my tank...
Cal 400 Salifert
Mag 1380 Salifert
Alk 9 API

I think those numbers look good, Muttley. I don't have a Mag test, but I just ordered one online and should have one in a few days. We'll see :).

I recently started adding Kalk to my top off water and this constant source of Ca and Alk has gotten crazy growth from my coraline and sps. More than I had dosing 2 part by hand each night

I'm not too sure about the light situation either. I have a 96 watt t5 over my 10g and plenty of coraline. I have a 250w MH over my 20 tall and I cant keep up with the scraping.
I honestly think it's your mag or your alk. It's hard to say but either way when you get the test kit you'll be better off anyways. Your coral will love you.

I think your black sand/gravel also makes the rocks look deceptively clean. I went so far as to try holding a piece of white paper over the monitor to cover the black sand with white and then it looks exactly like every other tank of less than a year.

Back