Are there any LifeRock (or comprable) aquascaping experts on here?

deputydog95

Long story, but I had to tear down my 5-year-old SPS tank and am in the process of completely starting over.

From scratch.

My tank is 48"x20"x20".

The tank will be only SPS and I'd like to use only the middle third from left to right, leaving the front and back fairly open for flow and maintenance.

Are there any sites out there with designs and the pre-made pieces listed that were used for the design?

I'm not terribly creative and would love to pick a design, buy the parts, and then just intsall it.

Personally, and I've done several rocky builds---I lay down lighting grid to protect the bottom glass from rock-rolls and accidents and 'point load' [irreguar points on rocks]. Then i set up some foundation rocks, 3 to five of them, which will bear the load of the visible rocks and make it possible for undersand cleaners to work.

Then I use my longer rocks as spires, vertically, which adds some height to the arrangement, then fill in with crosswise rocks. I don't glue or bore anything. Before I do the final adjustments, I add sand to cover the bottom rocks, then run the system and let the water clear.

Ummm. Important. I cover the bottom rock and sand with water, and use a mixing bowlk set on the sand to receive water poured in later, so I don't kick up a huge cloud of sand.

So now I'm ready to build, and I water it to the top---because rocks of different density and porosity behave really weirdly in water vs air. Balancing them dry will mean rockfalls. Do it all underwater and it's much, much easier to get a good 'lock' that will keep your arrangement in place. That said, certain things like giant snails and some damsels will still toss the very lightest pieces, but I still prefer no glue. Gives you the option to change and not have what looks like wads of chewing gum stuck to exposed places. If you do, however, have two or three critical rocks, yep, glue 'em if you can assure their essential stability. Especially if you live in an earthquake zone.

To reassure you re your skills, rocks have a way of looking good if you just adjust them until 'grain' is going in a harmonious way, and little rock is interspersed with big rock. Create a lot of bridges and caves. Helps water flow to be high and your bottom to stay clean. Your rock should look like caverns, not a rockpile. Hope that helps.

My first suggestion would be to use half the rock you think you need. You've got to allow for coral growth, or you end up with a tank with no room for fish.

You could check out Pinterest. There are tons of aquascape ideas to copy.

My first suggestion would be to use half the rock you think you need. You've got to allow for coral growth, or you end up with a tank with no room for fish.

You could check out Pinterest. There are tons of aquascape ideas to copy.

For sure. This go around I'm definitely going with "just enough" rock to have places for the SPS to grow out. Less is more. You get more water volume, swim area for fish, and access to the bottom for cleaning.

Pinterest is a great idea. Never thought of that. I'll take a look.

I emailed Caribsea to see if they had any customer tanks or office display tanks I could mimick. Nothing. I thought that was odd...

I forget how I got there, but now I get emails everyday from Pinterest, with pics of awesome tanks. I find it inspiring, and probably exactly what you're looking for. Good luck!

Excellent suggestion. I was on there this morning. Tons of great ideas! I found 3 or 4 I really like.

Thanks again!

Back