Are you guys going to the Bay Area Coral Farmer Market in June

I'm kinda interested to go check it out.

I did read some feedback on the SoCal one where a few people didn't like paying an admission fee and paying big bucks for high end corals. Sounded like there were some vendors with non-high-end prices though.

I'm sure there'll be a lot of way cool eye candy.

for $15 i probably will check it out. I'm already overstocked as it is. Probably will upgrade during the summer but not sure if i want to spend more on coral. maybe just let the ones i have grow out... still wanna see what they sell though. from what i read from the socal board, people start selling cheap at the end cause the vendors dont wanna bring it back. hehe

Yeah, I'm not too sure about have to pay inorder to have the opportunity to buy corals that I can already buy online for free. But then again it might be fun just to go and check things out without buying anything. I'll wait to see the complete vendor list before deciding.

I cant stqand these events where people have to pay on both sides. They are charing the vendors to set up booths there and then they charge customers a fee to come in. I'm still deciding if its worth it

I think it would be fun to go look, even if I'm sure this is a little high end for me. That being said, I complain enough having to go to Hayward for meetings, I doubt I'll go down to SoCal to buy corals :)

It's near my house, so I might go. The admission fee is a bit weird, and might discourage me though.

As far as the fee goes I don't think it's so bad I mean every place you go today you have to pay for parking and admission and if you buy coral online don't you have to pay shipping?so it sounds reasonable to me.Btw you get to see what your getting before you purchase.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6927086#post6927086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dr.darkness
I mean every place you go today you have to pay for parking and admission
Tell me a LFS that you have to pay admission to get in. Maybe parking if you go to the ones in SF.

$15 might not be a big deal but 300 people x $15 = alot of $$ :D
I'm sure they have a lot more people coming if there is no fee. :)

yeah, sounds interesting, but even a $15 fee sounds kinda steep considering i may be spending more money inside.. doesn't quite seem right to me.. i'd definitely come if it was no fee or token cheap (like around $5)

and like elite said, that's alot of money for the organizers considering they are also charging vendors who need to recoup those costs plus travel and setup at the show..

. I heard the one in socal was pretty cool. I have a friend who is getting a booth so I will probably be going. The fee to get in is to keep people out who are not serious. If you wont pay 15-40 to get in you most likley wont be buying much coral. And yes its a money making venture for everyone involved nothing else.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6928035#post6928035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by prodman
. I heard the one in socal was pretty cool. I have a friend who is getting a booth so I will probably be going. The fee to get in is to keep people out who are not serious. If you wont pay 15-40 to get in you most likley wont be buying much coral. And yes its a money making venture for everyone involved nothing else.

If it's only to keep the serious out and the loiterings out, then 5 or 10 should be enough.

Anywho I think it'll be fun just go. But I wonder if the prices will be any better than any LFS. :confused: If the prices are competitive then I think the $15 fee is worth while.

I don't mind the fee right now so much, although I'd prefer it was free. What bothers me is, the $40 at the door. That's ridiculous. I want to go, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it, so I don't want to buy the tickets now. The fact that the price goes to $40 on the day of if I decide to go is absurd.

Regarding the admission price, perhaps someone should ask the SoCal people if the whole thing was worth it.

Since the people running it are not getting a percentage of the vendor sales, they have to come up with a pricing formula to make this worth their while.

I thought it might be fun to hold an informal swap outside in the parking lot (or near by) on the same day. Then we'd have another reason to go down there.

Best of luck,

Roy

We are spoiled with the quality of our free frag events in the Bay Area.
The amount of work it takes to put on one of these events is astounding, and the people doing the work want to be paid for their time. Its business, its about making money, and thats totally cool.
I would guess the day of price is so much more than the pre event price because they want to drive people to sign up in advance. That way they get more vendors because they can show how many people are already going to attend.
Almost all events like this have an entrance fee - from swap meets (on the low end) to orchid shows or antique shows (on the higher end).
I think either price is completely fair, given what I know about organizing these kinds of events. :D

Back