ArrowCrabs Good or Bad?

goldmullet

Hey I have a 36 gallon saltwater tank with 7 Chromis and live rock. I was thinking about getting an Arrow crab in my tank.

Are they good to get or are they gonna be a hassle when I add more fish later?

From what I've heard, any small fish are game for them and they will eat corals.

If your chromis are a decent size and youre not going to have any smaller fish and/or corals Id say go for it. My only concern would be that at night if a small chromis sleeps on a rock he may be in danger.

Hey I have a 36 gallon saltwater tank with 7 Chromis and live rock. I was thinking about getting an Arrow crab in my tank.

Are they good to get or are they gonna be a hassle when I add more fish later?

I dont think you should add anymore fish to 36g tank. You already have too many fish in there.

So what. We are all here to help each other. If you saw me doing something detrimental to my fishes health, wouldn't you tell me.

No sir I would not. The tank is your business, not mine, if you ask me a certain question, I would do my best to answer that question. Not give you advice you did not ask for. No disrespect sir.

I say put the crab in there. You need to get rid of some of the chromis. I know on an other thread you were advised to take some of the fish back to the fish store. I see you still have all seven. That crab will take that responsibilty (sp) since you have not.

I have an arrow crab and I think he's awesome. Never went after any fish and never touched a coral. Very entertaining.

No sir I would not. The tank is your business, not mine, if you ask me a certain question, I would do my best to answer that question. Not give you advice you did not ask for. No disrespect sir.

Let em figure it out the hard way huh. When I see someone that is completely new to the hobby doing something bad for the fish, I will say something everytime. No disrespect to you either.

Last edited:
They will not grow that fast in a smaller tank. I had one grow huge in a 180 and I had a few stay small in a 26. In my experience my arrow crab did kill a sleeping goby. Good worm killer though and for the most part it couldn't catch many sleeping fish. I enjoyed it a lot though, definitely a cool animal. Your bio load is a little high but as long as you keep up with maintenance...some rules can be broken. More fish...more work.

I would not, you could knock down the chromis to 3 or 5 if you wanted to add more fish, they do good in odd numbers. Especially if you want to add bigger fish. If you are routine on waterchanges you should do all right. With that much fish waste I highly recommend running a protein skimmer and activated carbon.

Ok cool. I currently have a Bak Pak 2 Protein Skimmer and a power filter with a powerhead. So I would love to add more fish a couple bigger colorful
Ones.

Back