ASM G4+ Skimmer Output return question

Samped

Hey guys, I recently bought a tank that came with a pre-modded ASM G4+ protein skimmer (recirc and came with gate valve hardware)

I've got just about everything down, except for I cannot figure out really how to get the water from the skimmer back into the tank, or into another part of the sump

So, the overflow flows into the sump containing the skimmer via the gate valve? and the skimmer sucks the water into it via a hole on the body?

So that recirculates and skims all that water in that part of the sump, but where is the water output

Here is a picture (not mine, it is from "Justonemoretank" 's post) but i have the same exact setup..

SkimMods017.jpg

Ok, here's a crude drawing of what I think is going on. I just dont understand how the water leaves the skimmer, and flows back to tank or other part of sump
SUMPHELP.jpg

I used to run a G3 setup this way with these mods. The location where you have the blue arrow is where you feed water into the skimmer. Both yellow arrows is the output of the skimmer, and should flow from that outlet into your sump. The feed (blue arrow) can be fed by a small pump or from your overflow. You need to move your gate valve after the 'T' fitting and before the downward facing elbow to work properly also. JMTC & GL!

... You need to move your gate valve after the 'T' fitting and before the downward facing elbow to work properly also. JMTC & GL!

I have that wrong I think, on the output, you need the elbow fitting, then the gatevalve, then the 'T' fitting.

Hmm.. still doesn't make sense to me.. I dont understand how to get the water thru the out put? I thought the gate valve was to restrict the water being INPUT to the skimmer, not out of it?

So I run PVC directly from tank overflow, into the skimmer, and the gate valve controls out put? I don't get how the water gets outputted is my only concern.

sumphelp2.jpg

The water flows out the skimmer body, up the tube through the gate valve and then flows out the horizontal limb of the T. The top of the T, where you have the top yellow arrow is open to the air and no water flows out of it, all the water goes out the horizontal limb and down to where you have the bottom yellow arrow. The white arrow is the feed to the skimmer, either a pump or from your overflow depending on your preference.

Hmm.. still doesn't make sense to me.. I dont understand how to get the water thru the out put? I thought the gate valve was to restrict the water being INPUT to the skimmer, not out of it?

So I run PVC directly from tank overflow, into the skimmer, and the gate valve controls out put? I don't get how the water gets outputted is my only concern.

sumphelp2.jpg

Just trying to help here, I dont have the gate valve thing on mine so this may be off but this is how my G3 is

Attachments

• SkimMods017.jpg
    SkimMods017.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
The water flows out the skimmer body, up the tube through the gate valve and then flows out the horizontal limb of the T. The top of the T, where you have the top yellow arrow is open to the air and no water flows out of it, all the water goes out the horizontal limb and down to where you have the bottom yellow arrow. The white arrow is the feed to the skimmer, either a pump or from your overflow depending on your preference.

Thank you.. this explains it completely.

Thank you also truespeed for the picture, that confirmed everything I needed to know.

One thing though, how/why does the gate valve affect the input? or is it just how much gets output.. or both?

Just like the others have said. The water exits the skimmer body through an opening in the bottom, which leads to the pipe w/gate valve. The valve is used to close or open the outlet to raise or lower the skimmer water level. I don't use a valve on mine, I just raise the pipe up or down and it works fine. The valve is just supposed to make fine tuning easier.

Back