ASM Skimmer Club!

My Sedra 5000 never performed like the Tunze. Not even right out of the box. I am soo glad I got this pump. Plus, it takes up half the space the Sedra did in the sump.

One thing I noticed about your G3 is it only fills the body with bubbles from the pump upward and my G3 fills all but the bottom 1" with bubbles. Mine is recirc and I wonder if that is the difference, but my entire body is filled with milky white bubbles instead of just half. I have never ran mine in any other config other than recirc but it is an observation.

I put the 9420 on my G4, and I have the airflow at about 50% If you have anything smaller then a G4, I would suggest the smaller pump.

fwiw, I use my mag 12 to mix AND HEAT my 30g water change container. seriously, it will bring my water temp up from about 72 to 80 in less than 6hrs. I wouldnt use it, plus you would have to figure out a needle wheel or mesh mod for it.

sirreal63,

I forgot if your recirc pump is Tunze or not. I was wondering how the Tunze would work in recirc fashion. Mostly about how the input tube would match up with a uniseal.

I was going to try the tunze in recirc position, but it was a challenge to get it plumbed in.

I found that with the tunze as the main pump, I got better results without the recirc sedra. and just used the tunze by itself and patched up the holes that were for the recirc.

I am still using the Sedra. I have tried numerous pumps over the year and nothing has worked better. I am not a fan of the Sedra, but it is hard to disagree with the results I get from it. I have a box full of pumps.

I just did a few more mods to my g-1. I moved the pump to below the skimmer, and set it up to recirculate. I also did the porting mod to the pump. I put in a plate to work as a bubble plate, but it didn't seem to work, so I took it out. Also, I tried running my return line from my tank to run cc in this, but it was too much flow (it pushed a lot of bubbles right out of the skimmer., so for now I am not using the recirculate, and am just feeding my return water into my pump. It still seems to have a lot of turbulence.

Here is a picture.

IMG_0618.jpg

and here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR0R0PfxtNI

Does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to do the recirculation mod? What size holes to drill, what tool to use to drill the holes, etc...?

Thanks!

Can someone verify the dimensions of the ASM G2 and the G3 everywhere I read it says 24 and 25 inches tall - which is too tall to fit under my stand...

Last edited:
Back