ASM skimmer

YE||0W TA|\|G

For a 155 gallon tank, which would be better? I have about 150 lbs of rock and 80lbs of sand so this will reduce the amount of water in the tank so its less then 155 now.

ASM G-1 does 100 gallons

or

ASM G-1X does 150 gallons

There is only a 50 gallon difference.

A G3 or G4 would be better. I use a G3 on my 125 and it is OK. A G4 would be better IMO. If you have a little more money get an Octopus or MSX skimmer, they appear to be made a little better.

I use a G4+ on my 180 with LR, Sand and a 55g sump. I am happy with it. I agree that the G3 at a minimum might not cut it. IMO the G4 would be the way to go.

Had G-3 on 90g with heavy feeding, it didn't keep water clean. Replaced it by Turboflotor 1000 (recirculating).
But ASM has a large reaction chamber and if you can afford risk of making recirculating and mesh mods, it should help significantly.

I've had an ASM G-2 on my 90 gal for over 4 years and it's worked great. I definitely believe you need at least the G-3 or G-4. The G-1 & G-1X are too small for a 155. JMO

I set up a 75 gallon tank, I have been told for the money, go with the ASM. But, looking on the forums, all I see is how they need to be modded to work. First, would a G1 (rated for 100 gal) work for my setup? Secondly, what kind of mods are necessary, if any?

There is no way I would use a G1 on anything bigger then a 55. Way over rated as most of the ASM line is. Just to make a G2 work you would have to mesh and gate mod it.

For the most bag for your dollar look at the MSX160.

G2 on my 90 and it pulls gunk out... Hope to upgrade to something bigger soon (Reeflo Orca or something custom Like the Bubble Matrix? Maybe even an H&S....)

Back