At a Loss *Please Advise*

unclereefer

First I will give you a little background on my setup. My aquarium cycled about 3 weeks ago and I have not experienced a mini cycle since. I have a 58 gallon DT with a 20 gallon sump. Im running an sc-150 cone skimmer and have cheato in my sump. Water parameters are 1.22 sg, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, PH is 8.2 and water temp is 80 degrees. I have a damsel in the tank that has been happy since I started it. I added a firefish about a week ago and he has been happy and eating well. I did a 10 gal water change last night and made sure that the salt was mixed properly, right temp etc... I have a frogspawn coral in the same DT that is open and extended and happy. The firefish is in hiding now and won't even come out to eat. I am pretty sure he is going to die. I am really discouraged by this because it makes no sense. Is there anything that I am missing here? Thanks.

How long has he been hiding? If it has only been a couple days, i wouldn't get too worried. He'll get hungry and come out.

Do not worry about the fire fish they hide all the time. I had one disappear for a week than show back up. he will most likely be fine.

Thats really good to hear. I guess I won't freak out yet. Thanks for the info. I will update when I know whether or not he is going to make it.

firefish do hide and are somewhat shy but on the other hand do keep some kinda covers on top. they are known to be jumpers when stressed. i have lost several in past. good luck

I have had mine for about a year, a mated pair, and they both hide daily. They are housed in a 29g w/a pair of clowns. They know when its food time though, eat then go back hiding under their LR, probably got to get back to their movie.:rollface:

I would bump up your salinty to 1.026. Also, you might want to check the floor behind your stand or the sides incase it jumped. Not trying to freak you out but it happens.

I can see his tail under the rock that he is hiding under. He didnt come out to eat all day. Hopefully he makes an appearance tomorrow. I have not seen the damsel pester him unless its happening at night. How do you suggest I bring the salinity up as to not stress my inhabitants? what is the benefit to 1.026 as apposed to 1.022?

Yea damsels can be very aggresive and should be added toward the end. Turning the lights outs a few days and maybe moving some rocks around may help reduce this.

Just curious what you use for water movement in there and if you have a lid on the tank?

Firefish was dead this morning. I really don't understand. Is it my salinity or is there something I am not testing for that could have caused this? Like I said the frogspawn looks great and the damsel acts fine.

Damsels are pretty resilient. Not sure about firefish. But keeping your salinity close to whats found in nature is a VERY good thing to practice. Can you keep them in lower salinity, probably if you acclimate very slowly. (look up hyposalinity treatment) you may have shocked your firefish when you put it in your tank with such low salinity but thats just a guess. Could be many factors.

Also, firefish are easily intimidated and will stop eating. The damsel may have been an issue.

Back