At last!... My prayers have been answered.

Congrats on getting your first mantis.

You'll be hooked and setting up your second mantis tank in no time .... I already am at least haha

No joke, I m already thinking about setting up my 29 gal for another. I was gonna try my hand at the foam wall setup. No hurry though just figuring out how I want to do it in my head now.

Oh and I can't give her up now. I waited about 3 months to get her. Maybe next time...not hardly! : )

Well lets see some pics of everyones mantis tank setup. I need some motivation to get the next tank going.

If you read about their longevity in the aquarium (which is not so much), you wouldn't be quite so eager.

Dan

I've actually been trying to find that exact sort of info to no real avail for a while now. Would love to hear some data on wild vs captive mantis species that are common like peacocks and smithii's and wennerares for example.

Are terns specifically bad at staying alive?

And how much does lifespan vary between the smithiis, terns, wenneraes, etc.

No joke, I m already thinking about setting up my 29 gal for another. I was gonna try my hand at the foam wall setup. No hurry though just figuring out how I want to do it in my head now.

Haha nice.

I just picked up a 35g acrylic cube from a friend. Really would love to set it up and put a peacock in there. Gonna start planning it out so its ready when I move in 2 months :D

Haha nice.

I just picked up a 35g acrylic cube from a friend. Really would love to set it up and put a peacock in there. Gonna start planning it out so its ready when I move in 2 months :D

Nice score. I prefer more floor space, but a Peacock should do well in there. I would recommend the KISS method of keeping a Peacock. Roy uses canister filters and I think he said they are filled with carbon, filter sponge, and rubble rock. I would probably do my next one that way because you really don't need all the extra refugium and sump for a mantis other than to increase the volume of water for stability.

KISS = Keep It Simple St*p*d

Man u got a pretty good friend you should put up pics when you get started.
I feel pretty guilty knowing now how they collect g. Ternatensis. Iwas aiming for a peacock and got what they picked for me. I wouldn't chose another one unless I knew they collected it the proper way. But what can you do, ill just make sure I take care of her properly. It s the least I could do.

Any suggestions on a lid or not for her tank?

Nice score. I prefer more floor space, but a Peacock should do well in there. I would recommend the KISS method of keeping a Peacock. Roy uses canister filters and I think he said they are filled with carbon, filter sponge, and rubble rock. I would probably do my next one that way because you really don't need all the extra refugium and sump for a mantis other than to increase the volume of water for stability.

Thanks. I know it probably would be a little happier in a rectangular tank but I couldnt pass up the deal. I figure a nice black PVC burrow with plenty of rubble for sealing off entrances and some LR will make for a nice peacock home.

Simple? Ya I dont know how to do that lol. Going with a sump and a fuge on this one and a decent skimmer. I've already got the sump and skimmer and would rather have that extra water volume there. Plus I can always keep mantis nom noms in the fuge lol. I might keep a few disposable fish with the mantis ie chromis so the extra water volume will be handy.

Man u got a pretty good friend you should put up pics when you get started.
I feel pretty guilty knowing now how they collect g. Ternatensis. Iwas aiming for a peacock and got what they picked for me. I wouldn't chose another one unless I knew they collected it the proper way. But what can you do, ill just make sure I take care of her properly. It s the least I could do.

Any suggestions on a lid or not for her tank?

Thanks. Yea it was a good deal but it wasnt free. I traded my Starphire Solana AIO for the acrylic setup. Just at that point that I want more stomatopods and was tired of the AIO. I'll definitely make a build thread when I get started on it. Need to finish off the DIY stand in the next two months before I move apartments in June.

I'm not sure on the lid issue. I dont have one over my Viridis tank but he isnt overly active and there are no fish with it. Not sure if it would be required for a G. Ternatensis

Well she is settled in now behind a couple of rocks. She doesn't come out much now unless im feeding her. I feed her a small chunk of rods food for predators every other day off of a skewer. This shouldn't be too much right? There is a hermit crab in there for a snack and she hasn't bothered him in four days so im guessing she isn't starving.

Swifty that is one fine looking mantis you have there. I would love to have one but they just creep the Mrs out too much :(

Well thanks that makes me feel good. Yeah they are a little creepy but so interesting. Its one of many creatures most people never hear about or see that r fascinating and I think it is a shame. That's what makes this world so awesome, there is always something that will amaze you. And these little guys are definately one of them. Their eyes alone will baffle most minds.

Bit late to the party, but:

Boyfriend's taking care of my G. ternatensis (well, he picked up an unfortunate scyllarus who died a few days after from a bad molt and I felt really terrible so...) and we've found that Abaddon is actually fairly shy and doesn't like to come out unless he has to. We put in a bunch of dwarf ceriths (Reefcleaners inability to count helps) and we never see him, though we hear him plenty.

What's the deal about G. terns not surviving long in the aquarium?

Well my hermit crab is still alive. My mantis hasn't even looked at him yet. Is it not hungry or is it because of her gimpy raptoral appendage. Thoughts or concerns

G. ternatensis is a beautiful, but fairly delicate species.

Roy

Attachments

• G ternatensis small male mount small.jpg
    G ternatensis small male mount small.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 0
You can see her gimpy raptoral appendage pretty good in these pics. Its kind of funny, my cat is I think about as equally fascinated with my terny as I. I had to battle the cat to get my turn at studying her it was horrible to get these pictures but it was worth it.

She's adorable! I hope she fixes up that gimpy rapt soon.

One benefit of G. Terns is the easy sexing. No need to strain your neck staring at mantis genitals, just check the obvious antennal scales.

Hopefully, seeing as they like living amidst coral, Abaddon'll do well in the frag tank. I assume that the water parameters for keeping the more delicate SPS corals will suit him.

Yeah dr roy said shell probably lose in the next molt.

I would love to put coral with her but she would need a big chunk to suit her needs.

Back