ATB FlowStar 1500 or Laguna Max-Flo 1500 ?

Many hobbest in Southern California are using the MaxFlow pumps and are having great success with them...thats why i sold my new in box pumps and now have Laguna's. They are made backwards from the ATB to fit in the cages but a little DIY can fix that:) 4 year warranty......pretty good stuff.

They really are great pumps at a great price. The first time I tested my 1500 I put it in a brute filled with water 3/4 of the way up and when I turned it on it was shooting water out of the can. I think they are actually more powerful than rated. Is the custom base from SoCal nearly the same as the ATB one? I might pick up the base as a gift for my Max Flo as a reward for good service ;)

I think the base- at least how it attaches- is different, but they both still look very similar. They both look better than my ghetto zip tie rig :).

Does anyone have a pic of the Laguna max flo pump plumbed and fitted? I want to see the similarities and how you guys are attaching it to the return.

I got the ATB Flowstar 1500 in the mail today. It seems that ATB is also using the Click Fitting instead of the Union that I saw in many photos of the pump.

IMG_1371_zps4a9d4540.jpg

How big is the threaded click fit? is it a 3/4"? I'm wondering if it's the same as this for the Laguna: http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Click-...962&sr=1-1&keywords=laguna+click+fit+threaded

For those who are curious, I purchased the stand listed in the OP. I should be getting the Laguna Pump tomorrow and will mount it so everyone can see.

ahy7yje3.jpg

9uzutusy.jpg

a8epuhyv.jpg

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Here are the pics. Unfortunately I haven't been able test the pump yet so I can't post a review on it's performance. Thanks to the link in the OP, I was able to find a stand that was made to fit perfectly to the laguna pump. All I need now is to pick up the click fitting and I'll have a Flowstar 1500 clone. Lol. You guys can decide to see whether it's worth it.
IMAG0583.jpg

IMAG0584.jpg

IMAG0585.jpg

IMAG0586.jpg

IMAG0587.jpg

IMAG0588.jpg

IMAG0589.jpg

IMAG0590.jpg

IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0594.jpg

Swe..........et the smile is yet to come wait till you turn that bad boy on!!!
Great pics thanks for sharing:)

If you want max flow out of your atb/laguna increase the outlet size with a 3/4 to 1" fitting and run all 1" piping on the return. This only works if you are only pushing water from a sump underneath the tank (or other short distance run) as the use of the 3/4" exhaust is to allow longer runs on the return. The results are substantial and worth the minor bump in material cost.

I believe you can put a o-ring on pump inlet....matching outlet before installing click fit connection when using inline. I have seen them for sale in a pack of 3 for like 2.99 online.
I found out a week ago that Laguna doesn't have the click fit's yet for the 4200 pumps. I still will use 1 4200 in my sump but have to go a different way with close loop pumps.
I have heard the stand only fits the 1500 pump? Let us know if you find different;)

Where was the stand purchased? wondering if it will fit the 2000 I just got in.

Socaltropicalfish outlet has them, I believe Marine solutions may as well? If you search "Laguna 1500 custom stand" anohter couple come up as well.

On top of my 1500, I added a 900 Laguna to my 75g tank....as close to silent as can be, quieter than any internal pump of comparable flow I have used. Great pumps, the 2 I have came off ebay at like 100 bucks each with a 4 year warranty from the seller.

The "stand" I built for this one was out of flexible styrofoam(for lack of the real word) that I cut to make a flat base. The 900 lacks a flat base, so I just ziptied the foam to it so it cupped the shape and is about 1/2" thick.

Back