ATB Skimmer micro bubbles

kpc01

I have a ATB 1050A that is producing major micro bubbles. where should I start in trying to find the culprit? any certain things to look for?

Give it a day or so. It should clear up. How deep is the water in your sump?

I can't remember exactly but I think I have it running in 7"...whatever was recommended. its skimming good, just the bubbles. I will give it some time and see how it does.

thanks for the replies

I can't remember exactly but I think I have it running in 7"...whatever was recommended. its skimming good, just the bubbles. I will give it some time and see how it does.

thanks for the replies

The best depth I find to run a 1050A is 8 - 81/2". Hope this helps.

Just got the ruler out and I have it set at exactly 8" so I should be good there. I figured there was some break in time but just thought there were too many bubbles coming out at the bottom. I'll update in a day or two.

These things are still terrible. The display looks dark there are so many bubbles coming out. I took a quick vid of the skimmer running to see if anyone notices anything weird. I have it on a pvc stand and running in exactly 8.5" of water.

I just want these bubbles to go away!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/083gv2wcheI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/083gv2wcheI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

and another video of the tank. excuse the poor quality and the algae, pulling the remains of the hair algae I had in the tank a little at a time.

I did replace the impeller in the pump, that is the only thing I've done to this skimmer and it makes nice bubbles so wouldn't think that has an impact.

Its definitely terrible in the tank though

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iZP4CTnjjf4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iZP4CTnjjf4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I was thinking about trying that. does it matter what micron or will anything do? I don't want to get one too small and hold up the water too much

How closed is the return pipe? I just had this problem with mine and it turns out, it was due to not enough air. Let me explain.......

Over the last few weeks, my skimmer would overflow for no apparent reason. I would open the overflow tube a bit and that would take care of it for a day or two. Again and again this happens every day or two until the pipe was 100% open. I finally pulled my pumps and cleaned them, guess what, the air intakes were getting clogged. This was causing more water to be pulled in, causing the overflowing. This increase in water flow was also causing bubbles to be pushed out of the skimmer.

Check your air intake muffler, tubes, and intake at the volute if your pipe is open. If the skimmer has been down for some time, give it some break in time to slime coat everything.

Not sure about micron size, but I would put the biggest size you can so the water coming out has more room to disperse.

How closed is the return pipe? I just had this problem with mine and it turns out, it was due to not enough air. Let me explain.......

Over the last few weeks, my skimmer would overflow for no apparent reason. I would open the overflow tube a bit and that would take care of it for a day or two. Again and again this happens every day or two until the pipe was 100% open. I finally pulled my pumps and cleaned them, guess what, the air intakes were getting clogged. This was causing more water to be pulled in, causing the overflowing. This increase in water flow was also causing bubbles to be pushed out of the skimmer.

Check your air intake muffler, tubes, and intake at the volute if your pipe is open. If the skimmer has been down for some time, give it some break in time to slime coat everything.

thanks, I will let it run another day and pull the pump out tomorrow night to look at the air tube. I know it is sucking a lot of air when I put my finger over the tube there is a lot of suction. I will give it a try if something doesn't happen soon

Back