ATB Skimmer

CheckitOut

I have a ATB skimmer and for some reason it always seems to be overflowing. I have the original pump and changed out the pinwheel last year. But no matter what I do it, it seems to be over flowing and not skimming properly. I even built a stand for it to sit on and its in 4" of water yet the water inside of the skimmer sits right at the top of the skimmer. Any suggestions on what I can do to make it skim right?

If it's in 4" of water and overflowing, then something definitely isn't right. You shouldn't have to run that skimmer in 4" of water. What model ATB is this? What pump do you have with that skimmer? They used to include the Airstar that had the Askoll based block and now are using the Jebao DC pumps.

Have you checked the venturi port where the air hose connect to the pump to see if there is salt build up in there? To me it sounds like there is some sort of an air restriction which salt creep in the venturi port would account for. Unless you have the wedge pipe closed too much.

I have the ATB 840 v2.0. It has the Airstar pump on it. When you say wedge pipe are you referring to the pipe to increase or decrease the flow of the water?

I have the ATB 840 v2.0. It has the Airstar pump on it. When you say wedge pipe are you referring to the pipe to increase or decrease the flow of the water?

Yes. I am talking about the pipe you turn to raise or lower the water level inside the skimmer.

Ill recheck everything to make sure they aren't clogged. Could it be some thing to do with the pump?

Not likely unless there is something in the pump like a snail or debris clogging the needle wheel. That is unless your skimmer has the wrong model pump which is unlikely. Usually overflows are caused by clogged venturi ports. Epoxy & or red slime removers will cause overflows as well but since you say this has been a constant issue, I'm assuming it's something like what I've mentioned above.

Not likely unless there is something in the pump like a snail or debris clogging the needle wheel. That is unless your skimmer has the wrong model pump which is unlikely. Usually overflows are caused by clogged venturi ports. Epoxy & or red slime removers will cause overflows as well but since you say this has been a constant issue, I'm assuming it's something like what I've mentioned above.

Ok thanks for the advice I'll take it all apart and give it a good cleaning to see if it will help.

quick test would be to just pull the airline from the silencer and with the collection cup off, run the line under water to pull water through the air line and dislodge/flush any heavy obstructions. then just hook it back up and see if it settles down.

if you're doing a heavy skimmer cleaning, while you have it apart, make sure you look into the venturi nipple where the airline attaches at the pump intake.

those little suckers can clog pretty easily with carbonate and dust build up. if they are impeded just a little, the level of the skimmer can rise enough to overflow even though it seems like its pulling enough air. Remember, less air = more water through the skimmer and higher internal levels.

even if the nipple looks free from build up, it doesn't hurt to soak and clean it. I use the non-cutting end of a drill bit to push build up out, then soak and use felt wire from a craft store to do a final cleaning.

Last edited:
I got the air tube and silencer off and ran them under hot water. Then put it back together and bam, it works correctly now. Thanks guys for the tips.

I got the air tube and silencer off and ran them under hot water. Then put it back together and bam, it works correctly now. Thanks guys for the tips.

Glad to help. Make sure to physically check the venturi port on the pump. Hot water will not remove the salt creep and other buildup in there because of its hardness. You usually need to scrape that out of the port.

Back