ATI Bubblemaster 200 vs. MSX 200

Re: 250

Re: 250

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12286062#post12286062 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chadweiss
I have the BM 250 and it is a beast. Great foam production

I agree totally, a powerhouse

I have the msx 250 and its just as much a beast, if not more, thatn the BM 250 for a couple hundred $ less.... Not a competition in my mind.

I like that the ATI (I have this) is shorter, but I cannot get even close to the nasty skiammate luke33 gets.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12286060#post12286060 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CDReefLover
I would go with ATi, the original instead of the copy. Just personal preference. This debate happened many times with Euro-Reef and ASM.

The msx isn't a copy of the ati fwiw, its better designed. It has the sicce pump on it and that is the only similarity. The msx is more a ko of the bk skimmer.

If you want an ati bm ko, check out the octo ps version skimmers. They had the same nasty bubble plate riser like the ati, but with a otp pump.

The fact is, the ATI's seem to work really well despite the "nasty" bubble plate design. I guess skimming performance doesn't really matter.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12277417#post12277417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by franklinbeens
who actually owns a ati 200 anyway, with that gate valve
thing lol, the msx series has that covered, all you have to do is cut the output pipe till you are satisfied with the performance,
next ,you must easily change the mesh to get the pump to start
correctly, not much to do really, oh, don't forget to go to the hardware store to get a replacement hose. the oem is a little weak, hands down the msx is a more bang for your buck!!

Your statement is why I won't purchase the MSX. I read the thread for the MSX and there are too many modification you have to make in order to get the thing to work.

I am looking for a skimmer that will work GREAT out the box. I don't want to have to use my GPS to locate an ACE Hardware store

I am considering the the downdraft or buckett type skimmers for this reason. I don't want the extra pump, but I want a really good skimmer. I am looking at the BK and ATI, but the cost.

HELP.

BTW, I currently use the Octopus NW150. My load has increase and I am doing MOST SPS.

dolby, the msx skimmers are plug and play now. Took a 2nd generation design to get there. So no modifications needed fwiw.

sjm, the ati's skim well, but when people are being told to restrict the air from 1100lph to 900lph because its to much, there's problems with the design. My msx is pulling around 1500lph and i can adjust it from wet or dry as i want. You cannot do that with the ati. The msx has a longer dwell time as well imo. Like i've said, i'm not trying to put the ati down, but i don't think its as nice of a skimmer as the msx.

Luke, I'm not sure where you are getting your info from. I was on the phone today with Greg from ReefGeek, about some lighting and asked him about the LPH on the 200. He said he purposely does not recommend any specific number and does not tell people to drop the LPH down to 900. He said he sometimes advises people with low bioloads who have an oversized skimmer for their system to cut back on the airflow with an air valve so it can build a better foam head. He stated the obvious that every system is different and you need to set up the skimmer for what works best in your system.

Why not ask grandp10 as he was instructed to cut the air flow from 1100 to 900 by greg. He has quite a few tangs in his system so i wouldn't consider it a low bioload. I understand the theory behind what your saying sjm but i've known people to run a das ex2 on a 35g tank and have no problem building a foam head. I've also had my tank go fallow with few inverts and still pull out a half a cup to a full cup a day of coffee for 6 weeks. And fwiw, my tank had zero trates and i was feeding maybe once a week. I think its tough to have to little to skim using a ati 200 if your tank is a 75g or larger. The overskim concept is true imo but to get there your talkin throwing an ati on a 10g tank. Something silly like that. If the skimmer is to large for the system i'd think youd get a very dirty neck and very little skimmate.

I thought asking Greg @ Reefgeek would be sufficient. He may have recommended that to that person, I dont know. If so, that doesn't mean it is a general recommendation for this skimmer, and I was told specifically, it is not.

He also mentioned the newer skimmers with the gate valve output without a standpipe are set up differently than the old models with a standpipe since they can run a lower water level.

I'm not calling anyone a liar, it may be the older model, i'm not certain. Only way to see would be if gramp10 would post. But regardless i don't see what cutting down the air would do, besides lowering the foam head for a more controlled skimmer. If that is recomended to some, wouldn't it imply the design is flawed or the pump doesn't match the body? Maybe its just the old one's like you said and then they fixed the problem.

But to the original question of the thread. The price and performance of the msx vs the price and performance of the ati isn't comparable. Your talking a 350 vs 750 price difference. Even if they skimmed identical, you'd save 400bux. Its a no brainer to me.

Luke, I am concern that the mash will get dirty quicker than a needlewheel. A friend purchased the bubble King Mini 200 and it has a disk with rods. That method seem logical to prevent build up of waste on the wheel. Also, with the force of water on the mesh, will it loose its efficiency?

I want a more efficient skimmer, but I refuse to spend BK money. Will the mesh work for 6 months without cleaning?

have seen the ATI 4th GEN with the SICCE pump and have also tested it against the ATB, from that, I would have to go with ATI. JMO and also testing.
The gate valve to the ATI might look funny, but the thing works pretty damn well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12300368#post12300368 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
If that is recomended to some, wouldn't it imply the design is flawed or the pump doesn't match the body?
No. In that case, Deltec, H&S, ER, and every other skimmer that has an adjustable air flow valve is flawed as well. An air adjustment is a normal feature, and is there to tune the skimmer to the system it is running on.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12300368#post12300368 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33

But to the original question of the thread. The price and performance of the msx vs the price and performance of the ati isn't comparable. Your talking a 350 vs 750 price difference. Even if they skimmed identical, you'd save 400bux. Its a no brainer to me.
I agree

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12299782#post12299782 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Wh If the skimmer is to large for the system i'd think youd get a very dirty neck and very little skimmate.

Good point, and if you adjusted a little higher you'ld get very wet skimmate?

How do the neck dia compare ATI vs MSX? ( i thought this had more to do with wet skimmate than the bubble extension tube) and does any one know how is the bubble extension tube working for the newer BKs?

Actually, the price shown @ Reefgeek for the BM200 is $600, so its $350 Vs $600.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12300529#post12300529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dobly_1999
Luke, I am concern that the mash will get dirty quicker than a needlewheel. A friend purchased the bubble King Mini 200 and it has a disk with rods. That method seem logical to prevent build up of waste on the wheel. Also, with the force of water on the mesh, will it loose its efficiency?

I want a more efficient skimmer, but I refuse to spend BK money. Will the mesh work for 6 months without cleaning?
ive just inspected one yesterday that be mesh runing for 16 months and it looked as good as new.

i have the 4 gen bm200 and the air needs to be cut back to get it to skim right other than that its a great skimmer. if you can get away with the 160or the 250 it needs no mods.

Back