ATI Dimmable 24 x 6 over 20 gallon tank?

mooch1982

Hey guys,

I have a questions about running a 24 x 6 ATI Dimmable fixture over a 20 gallon tank that is 24 x 12. The fixture it-self is 13.4 inches wide, but it seems the T5 bulbs are closer and if the fixture is hung it would just cover 12 inches. Has anyone tried the 24 x 6 fixture over a 20 gallon tank?

Would it cause too much spill over? I would plan to keep it at least 8 inches above the tank to avoid coral bleaching. Any input would be appreciated.

4x24w is all you need. 4-6" above the tank is about right over my 29g. Although its not quite three fingers above my tank now (3") , so you can lower it after your corals get adjusted to it.

Last edited:
Heres the situation. I am getting the 6x24 fixture for the same price. Reefgeek does not have the 4 bulb fixture in stock. So I wanted to know if it would cause spill over. Plus im getting the dimmable fixture, so I could always turn down the intensity.

They say they have the 4x24 Dimmable Sunpower "in stock".
No they don't have much spillover but you will have more than normal. It will have bulbs from end to end & front to back.
Be great for a SPS tank. I would throw actinic bulbs in the front and rear bulb slots.

It says in stock, but they dont have it.

Also, not sure how the 6 bulb fixture is wired. I believe it has two ballasts but not sure on how it is setup on the light. for example not sure if front and back are on one ballast and the other 4 in the middle....

Can anyone confirm this?

It goes like this

So would it be possible to run just 4 bulbs on the dimmable fixture?

So for example:

Empty
ATI Blue PLUS
FIJI Purple
KZ New GEN
ATI Blue PLUS
Empty

Would ballast number 1 not function without the other two bulbs?

So would it be possible to run just 4 bulbs on the dimmable fixture?

So for example:

Empty
ATI Blue PLUS
FIJI Purple
KZ New GEN
ATI Blue PLUS
Empty

Would ballast number 1 not function without the other two bulbs?

No it will not. It needs all four to fire.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Here is an old tank of mine with a 6 bulb sunpower over it, it is a 33 gallon long, but it is 12 inches wide, like your 20 gallon. Light spill wasn't too bad at all. You are correct, even though the fixture is a little wider, the bulbs don't go beyond the width of the tank. Sunpowers also have reflectors that concentrate the light downward, moreso than across as other t5 fixtures, so you'll be fine, but be careful with bleaching!

I chose 6 bulbs, just because I never was happy with color combos only using 4 bulbs, as I am fond of true actinics.

Bulbs 1,3,4,6 fire on one ballast, the other ballast is 2,5

DSC00523.jpg

Here is an old tank of mine with a 6 bulb sunpower over it, it is a 33 gallon long, but it is 12 inches wide, like your 20 gallon. Light spill wasn't too bad at all. You are correct, even though the fixture is a little wider, the bulbs don't go beyond the width of the tank. Sunpowers also have reflectors that concentrate the light downward, moreso than across as other t5 fixtures, so you'll be fine, but be careful with bleaching!

I chose 6 bulbs, just because I never was happy with color combos only using 4 bulbs, as I am fond of true actinics.

Bulbs 1,3,4,6 fire on one ballast, the other ballast is 2,5

DSC00523.jpg

Excellent, Thank you very much!!

Monday I am getting the ATI 6x24 for my 24x24x12- 30g Deep Blue Rimless and a friend told me to do Blue Plus x3, Purple Plus x1, Coral Plus x1 and True Atinic x1. Does that seem like a good combo? The tank is softies, LPS and some SPS.

Back