ati or tek

wreck

i have a 55 gallon reef and i'm looking to buy a new fixture. i have been doin some research and i can't decide between the ati sunpower 48" 6 bulb or tek 48" 6 bulb. any sugestion would be appreciated

I'm very happy with my tek.. But I'm sure you can't go wrong with either one.It comes down how much you want to spend.

I am very happy with my Tek,I can grow anything in my tank,but if I could do it again I would go with Sunpower fixture,mainly because it has cooling fans that is better for bulbs life and PAR.

If you go with ATI, plan to hang it. IMO, that's the only downfall of ATI unit (no legs). But otherwise a great fixture.

If you're not worried about money, then it's a no brainer. Go with the ATI, from what I've read they are the best T5 fixtures on the market. Again, I have no first hand experience but if you read a little bit about T5s you'll see that ATI is hard to beat. They have almost double the PAR of TEK lights in some situations and overall i think they'll outperform a TEK in any category you're looking at. Now, a TEK will probably grow anything you want but the ATI is definitely a superior unit.

ATI, and trust me you probably don't WANT legs with it. First off it's so good looking when it's hung. And the biggest reason I always point out is that it's so powerful that you may need to raise it to NOT bleach/cook your corals. There fore it is, for me, desireable to hang it so I can adjust it. Legs would have just killed all my stuff in a week. even with hanging my 6 bulb PM 14" above the water I still have bleached frags in less than 24 hours on the sand bed. so to keep "anything" I say it's no contest...ATI FTW.

stay away from current nova extreme. in two years i had mine both ballasts have gone out and i always ran the fan

thanks again for the responses. does anyone know if tek has fixed the issues with the crappy fans?

Nope they haven't. They said "soon" like 3 months ago. Classic Sunlight Supply to cut corners.

On a 55 gallon you only need a 4 bulb Sunpower. 6 bulbs is a little too wide and you will just light up your floor.

Had the sunlight in both 4 and 8 bulb now have ati sunpower and powermodule,all i can say is ATI if you want to spend the money, no comparison

I went with the Tek mainly because of price and a available leg kit, as for the fan issue, they enclosed 2 new fans and a different power source. So far i have been very happy with this fixture. If money hadn't been a issue I would have bought a ATI.

Back