ATI PowerCone IS series skimmer club

mark54321

Hi, I want to start this thread and share good and bad about this skimmer. When looking for information about this, very few people own it and could not find too much on it at all. Found some good and bad reviews about the earlier models, but the new 2013 model should have all problems corrected. Anyway , I took a chance and ordered the 200 IS model, that should fit nicely for my 140 gal. system. Anybody who owned or currently owns one of those, please share your experience here. When I received this skimmer it was packaged very well. It came without any damage or scratches. It came with basic instructions and it was very easy to put together.
IMG_0619_zps50c02050.jpg

IMG_0620_zpsce5d5c43.jpg

IMG_0622_zps1cbff0bd.jpg

Of course my son had to help :)
IMG_0625_zpsd4643fd1.jpg

IMG_0627_zps8ce6dfae.jpg

IMG_0629_zpsc6ac692c.jpg

IMG_0630_zps1a00bf29.jpg

IMG_0631_zpsb6051589.jpg

Skimmer went in my sump with about 7.5 in. water. ATI recommends between 7-9in. I am just starting my tank from scratch, no livestock, dry clean sand, ceramic rocks, freshly mixed saltwater. When I powered it up it started without a glitch. The soft pupm start should extend its life. Pump power could be adjusted from 40 to 100%. It also has a digital air flow meter to see its performance. Should be helpful when adjusting it to the systems total volume as well good indicator when pump should be cleaned. For the first two weeks of operation ATI recommends air flow about 1500 lph.
So far after 24 hrs. straight from the box, I am very impressed with it. It produce very thick , stable foam. I can only imagine what will happen when i add fish.
Short video of skimmer running
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zKe63DFkKqM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My concern with that skimmer was I felt uneasy about how the cup sat on the body of the skimmer.

Yes, this is totally new to me too, how the cup sits on top of the cone, but so far so good. No leaks at all at this time. Again, it is only one day, will see how it hold up. I will report good and bad. Hopefully it will help others to make decision when considering this skimmer. I kind of made decision to buy it "blind"

IMO as far as performance it will be hard to compete with this skimmer , I hope the pump will perform well for long time.To sad it was take to much time until it's come to the market a lot of hobbyist lost hope of waiting and decide to go with other skimmer.

Mark54321,
I have been watching this skimmer for a while and I want to say thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully more people will chime in as I for one am really curious about its performance. I did have a question for you about the cup. I was wondering what the measurement of the neck inside the cup is? Also, do you find normal cleaning easy? Is it finiky like a lot of others when adjusting settings? Am looking at this as a potential replacement for my current skimmer. Shoot, any info would be awesome. I'm just glad someone finally has hands on experience with it.Thanks!

I have this skimmer (250 version) and I like it alot. The only issue I have is that they did not drill out the cup for a drain. Not a huge deal since the cup is huge, but it would have been nice. It's not hard to drill out and tap it but I'd rather not on a brand new $650 skimmer.

I've had the skimmer for several months now and I am only running it for 18 hours since it is a little oversized for my tank.

Mark54321,
I have been watching this skimmer for a while and I want to say thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully more people will chime in as I for one am really curious about its performance. I did have a question for you about the cup. I was wondering what the measurement of the neck inside the cup is? Also, do you find normal cleaning easy? Is it finiky like a lot of others when adjusting settings? Am looking at this as a potential replacement for my current skimmer. Shoot, any info would be awesome. I'm just glad someone finally has hands on experience with it.Thanks!

Hi, the neck inside cup is 5 in. tall and 5 in. wide, it is very easy to clean as cup just sits on top of skimmer body. there is no need to twist or do anything, just lift straight up. right now I set up my skimmer to pull about 1500 lph air, as per instruction from ATI, is seems to be working great this way. I noticed when I feed frozen, if I did not rinse it, the foam head collapsed and needed about an hour to start again. Now I started to rinse my frozen food before feeding, and skimmer works great without any foam collapsing. So far is very steady and never once the cup overflowed yet. Recently ATI announced $100 price drop on this skimmer , so right now the deal is even sweeter then before.

where did you see the 100.00 price drop?

Hi, the neck inside cup is 5 in. tall and 5 in. wide, it is very easy to clean as cup just sits on top of skimmer body. there is no need to twist or do anything, just lift straight up. right now I set up my skimmer to pull about 1500 lph air, as per instruction from ATI, is seems to be working great this way. I noticed when I feed frozen, if I did not rinse it, the foam head collapsed and needed about an hour to start again. Now I started to rinse my frozen food before feeding, and skimmer works great without any foam collapsing. So far is very steady and never once the cup overflowed yet. Recently ATI announced $100 price drop on this skimmer , so right now the deal is even sweeter then before.

It is on ATI website, as of August 27 2013. Reefgeek already reduced its prices too, $579 for IS200, used to be $679.

I have the 250 version, I bought it on june 2013. He's on my 200g system. That skimmer work perfectly for me. I clean the pump every month and I keep the air level around 2800-3000 lph. I have a normal bioload in my tank around 20 fish. I recommand it.

I was also curious about the construction. Do you find it well made? Is the body made from thicker/thinner material? Is the cup of a heavier design just in case of accidental drops or anything like that? How do the seams look as far as clean glue joints and such? I guess I'm asking just how well is it made? Some photos look as if the body might be made of thinner material.

I guess for that price you kinda cant go to wrong either. Ive seen plenty at about the same price that I wouldn't buy.

thanks again, M:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I was also curious about the construction. Do you find it well made? Is the body made from thicker/thinner material? Is the cup of a heavier design just in case of accidental drops or anything like that? How do the seams look as far as clean glue joints and such? I guess I'm asking just how well is it made? Some photos look as if the body might be made of thinner material.

I guess for that price you kinda cant go to wrong either. Ive seen plenty at about the same price that I wouldn't buy.

thanks again, M:thumbsup:

IMO skimmer is very well made. It is made out of thinner acrylic then my Skimz I had before, but the quality of workmanship is very nice. All edges are finished nicely, no visible seams or glue joints. Cup is big, but again made from thinner material, if you drop it most likely it will crack. ( I believe all skimmers I had before, if you drop the cup, all would crack). Would be nice to have drain from the cup, but I find it not necessary.

Well........

I did it. I ordered the 200is. Should arrive Friday. I am pretty stoked on it. I will give my thoughts and opinions and if anyone has any questions or requests for pics I can do that too.

Only 3 days to go......tick tock......

Last edited:
Well........

I did it. I ordered the 200is. Should arrive Friday. I am pretty stoked on it. I will give my thoughts and opinions and if anyone has any questions or requests for pics I can do that too.

Only 3 days to go......tick tock......

Do you like your new skimmer, post some photos!

So my skimmer arrived in great condition. Just as Mark54321s did. No damage to the box or its contents. Packaging was nice and sturdy. I figured no need for pics of that because it looked the same.

Upon initial unboxing I started looking at the quality of the seams and possible glue lines. Very clean and tidy. I then noticed that the pipe that feeds the main body from the pump was made of a (what seemed like) cheap piece of black plastic tube. It had been heated and formed to fit the holes in the body and was not glued in. It is more of a press in fit than an actual glued, screwed fitting.
The next thing I noticed was that the skimmer lid was made of some heavy duty acrylic. Very thick. I wish the rest of the skimmer was made like this because then it could rival a Vertex for quality of craftsmanship. I do like the milling of the name and model in the top of the lid. The one thing about the lid that I did not like was the fact that the turndown for the skimmate was off center by 3/16 of an inch or so. This actually caused me some frustration because it wouldn't have taken any longer to have centered it correctly. I work in construction and am a Glazier by trade so things like this are unacceptable in my line of work. I cant get away with a variance of that much.
Upon assembly I noticed that the bottom plate can be separated from the main body by removing 4 nylon screws. Great for cleaning. The bubble plate is also removable as well with 1 nylon screw.
The outlet pipe is a slight concern for me. When it is inserted into the base, there is just enough tension to keep it in its hole. Although, if you bump it or handle it too rough it pops out with ease. I understand that this skimmer is supposed to be an in sump model and that its supposed to basically just hold water but I would like to have seen a little more heft to this product. I will say that the cup is made very well. The press fit that it employs is quite good. In the recess that the body slips into on the underside of the cup, there is an o-ring to complete the seal. I noticed some leakage from this junction upon initial break-in but it has subsided with time.
On to the pump...
Impressive to say the least. Very quiet. I am very impressed with the grid wheel. Upon removal I found it to be made of a harder plastic than I first thought. It looks as though it may have been made by a 3d printer. It even has a very tiny piece of tubing inserted into the grid acting as a balance weight to eliminate vibration. The venturi is quite good as well. I think the revisions that ATI made here were very good. I've had no issues with clogging as of yet. I don't run filter socks and its only been a week and a half so no real time evidence there. As far as connecting to the skimmer body, the silicone tubing was a bit troublesome but not terrible to get mounted.
The controller for the pump is pretty straight forward. One knob to control the speed up and down. What I did find curious was that when I turned up the speed, the water level inside the skimmer rose only very slightly but the bubble output was phenomenal. It would very easily overflow the cup with bubbles and fill it very quickly all while the outlet pipe was fully open. I still haven't closed the outlet at all yet. I find that the recommended 1500lph for break-in to be too much for this skimmer. I have been running anywhere between 900 -1200lph with great results. It does however cut off if turned up all the way. I played with it some and got it to pull about 2300lph but that was about it. Any more and the pump shuts down. I have found that upon break-in, the restart of the pump is sporadic. I think this is due to it being new. There were a couple of days I didn't mess with it and then plugged the air intake just to see what would happen and it refired on the first try. I feel that it will become more consistent after some time.
The air meter is pretty cool but not necessary. I do like it though. As far as the silencer goes, it seems to be made of some cheaper plastics as well with a couple pressure fittings to hold some pieces of tubing in the end caps. Also, the holes for the air meter looked as though they were drilled and not cleaned up. Rough edges and extra plastic hanging in the opening for the air line don't equal quality in my mind. Clean edges are expected when looking to fit a component together.
Before installation I just rinsed it in fresh water. For the first few days it wouldn't form a stable head of foam. Finally after some slime started to build, it started to produce some skimmate. I have found that the lower the lph, the drier the foam is as it tends to ride lower in the body. Almost the same effect as the gate valve but the water doesn't rise very much. The adjustments are pretty infinite if you start playing with it. Fine tuning might take a minute but once its there and doing its job, I do believe that this skimmer will pull the pooh like an animal. I have emptied the cup a few times now and they are getting progressively worse and worse smelling. The last cup that I emptied was dark and very foul smelling. The bubble column has become pretty stable and the bubbles rise almost straight up with no swirl or change in direction. Did I mention the bubbles? Wow. I have had a couple small overflows but they were due to my own fault in adjusting the lph. It kind of has a learning curve I guess you could say.
It is also a bit sensitive to oils and such from skin. During early break-in I found that if I looked at it wrong the head would fall. Now its mainly food and me reaching into the tank that causes it to fall. The head does however come back quicker and quicker as time passes.

All in all, I am pretty impressed with this skimmer for its capabilities. Even though some of the construction aspects were disappointing, I do find it to be a viable product. If the flaws that I found were addressed and rectified, this skimmer could easily command its original asking price and actually be worth it. As for the state of it right now, I do think that the current discounted asking price is still a bit too much for it. I have decided to give it some time and see what its actually capable of and if it becomes a great piece then awesome. If not, well then I guess my SRO goes back in and the ATI will be up for sale.

I do hope that my review helps if anyone is considering this skimmer. I am in no way bashing or panning this product. This is my honest review and opinion of a product that I have personally purchased and am currently using. I will do my best to get some pictures this week. I have a very busy schedule so its hard sometimes. Thanks for reading and if you have any questions or comments or requests for specific pictures please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again, Murderface:D

ATI powercone 200iS - my overall rating - 3.5

Skimmer construction- 3.5
Skimmer pump- 4.0
Bubble production- 4.5 WOW!

So after the ups and downs of break-in I have decided to return this skimmer. The reasons include over flows, bubble column fails to return in a timely manner, inconsistencies in air draw and water level inside of the skimmer, andminor cosmetic flaws. I have adjusted this skimmer 10 ways to Tuesday with mediocre results. Low water, high water, more air less air and everything in between. No joy.

I contacted Reefgeek and explained my problem and the pending return while also informing them that I was within the 30 day return policy. I was directed to call ATInorthamerica(of course) to see if they could troubleshoot it and help me get it dialed in. Unless they have some magic button that I haven't seen then I can be sure that nothing will change. I will give it a shot and see what they can come up with.

In the event that nothing changes then I will definitely be contacting RG again and opting for the return of my funds. Its a shame that this skimmer hasn't performed like I had hoped it would. I do hope that others that are having success with this skimmer will continue to have success and enjoy their skimmers. I for one am on the other side at the moment.

Here's hoping I don't get the shaft and get stuck with a product that I am unhappy with. Wish me luck!

Sorry to hear about your problems, my skimmer was a set and forget , never once overflowed and it is keeping steady dry foam. It performs as I expected. It sits in 7 in. of water with air flow about 1500 lph. It is pulling dark and smelly skimmate, despite of my very low bioload.

Well, this skimmer has been returned. Its unfortunate that I couldn't(with help from ATI even) get this to function as promised. I had high hopes for it. I guess its back to the search for me.

Back