ATI SunPower T5 Fixture inside canopy

pbnj

Really depends on the number of bulbs.

I took the lid off my canopy and run the lights with an open top. The light fixture is black like the canopy, so the fixture actually looks like a lid.

nikon187

Well the sunpower only comes in a max of 6 bulbs so I'm sure you will be fine but why cover up a nice fixture like that? Why not retro something and save some money if you won't be able to see it.

maddog2002

My wife likes the have canopy cover the tank. I already have tek-ii retro installed which is bad choose. tek-ii is 3" wide, I can only put 4 bulbs in my canopy. PM have 10% with free shipping for sunpower. I think may be that will be a good choose.

Johnny C

Installing a Sunpower in a canopy is like owning a Ferrari in Alaska! :lol:

Go with an Icecap 6-Bulb retro and save yourself hundreds of dollars. JMO

Reefer08

Installing a Sunpower in a canopy is like owning a Ferrari in Alaska! :lol:

Go with an Icecap 6-Bulb retro and save yourself hundreds of dollars. JMO

I think that the cost of running a sunpower vs an Icecap 6-bulb retro is very comparable.

For example
48" 4x54W SLR T5 Pre-Wired Retrofit Kit w/ Ballast & Bulbs
is already at $460 on Reefgeek.com
+ add 2 more bulbs/reflectors/ballasts and the price is already well over 500.

Now my question is,
How much of an improvement in PAR would a Sunpower be vs a retro-fit?
Thanks

Reefer08

Another question is would a Sunpower even preform well in a canopy? Since the sides are unable to properly vent out hot air would that affect its overall performance? Most likely there will be 1 inch or less on each side for the Sunpower to fit.

Thanks

Reefer08

Another question is would a Sunpower even preform well in a canopy? Since the sides are unable to properly vent out hot air would that affect its overall performance? Most likely there will be 1 inch or less on each side for the Sunpower to fit.

Thanks

CorkPullerPHL

Mmm, Beer.
Premium Member
You're not comparing apples to apples there. Don't buy a prewired kit. If you are at all comfortable (or even just interested) in DIY projects, the wiring isn't such a big deal.

As for reflectors, to the best of my knowledge, ice cap does not make a 36" reflector, so you'd have to trim them. This isn't difficult either.

I am currently building a 36" Tech 70. If I were going to use a canopy I'd go ice cap. Since I will not have a canopy I'll be going with the 36" Sunpower.

stormrider27

I am running my 60" ATI Sunpower in a canopy on my 125 (72"x18"x22'). The canopy height is about 14". I cut out an opening on the top to allow the ATI fans to exhaust out and placed two 4" fans on either end in a push pull configuration to help keep the bulbs and tank cool. During the Summer my chiller will kick in a couple times a day to keep water temps below 80 degrees.