ATI Sunpower T5 with Kessils - Mounting Ideas

eder10986

Hey gang, two part question here.

Looking for ideas to mount two Kessil 360We to an ATI 36" Light fixture.

I am doing this to supplement my LEDs with T5 lights and although I have a couple ideas I wanted to pick your brains.

Secondly, hanging the fixture(s) from the ceiling is my last resort although viable. Any recommendations to mount to tank or stand and achieve that "floating" look altogether?

Sincerely appreciate your help!

Thinking of using these and carefully anchoring them on the metal in between bulb 3 and 4 (so three on one side three on the other)

77f1743d3e2ee764d1e2f99bbda16abd.png

5abe102107b794843e8996480f1a6134.jpg

And then may consider drilling a small home for wiring or simply running them nearly with anchors through he fixture itself.

Plan on hanging it on something like this

6b09d770ec9003722744d9c9e9408f69.png

But was really hoping for a similar and more affordable idea

Thoughts.....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank is 48" so I was considering this unit:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/48-ati-sunpower-high-output-t5-light-fixture.html

How will you remove the center reflectors?
What is the link to the mounts you're considering for the Kessils?
How will you do the wiring for the Kessils?

I was considering a stand like this one:

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...5zg0h9RqYPBP8RgTmg1TGRDYD67duYGgq8hoCtfHw_wcB

I don't currently have a T5 setup, so I'm wondering it it would be easier to just go with a solid retrofit kit and put them on some sort of hanging DIY canopy versus buying a T5 fixture and cutting it up.

My tank is 48" so I was considering this unit:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/48-ati-sunpower-high-output-t5-light-fixture.html

How will you remove the center reflectors?
What is the link to the mounts you're considering for the Kessils?
How will you do the wiring for the Kessils?

I was considering a stand like this one:

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...5zg0h9RqYPBP8RgTmg1TGRDYD67duYGgq8hoCtfHw_wcB

I don't currently have a T5 setup, so I'm wondering it it would be easier to just go with a solid retrofit kit and put them on some sort of hanging DIY canopy versus buying a T5 fixture and cutting it up.

Thabks for the link of the hanging kit. I like that one better!!!

I'm unsure of the anatomy of the fixture so before I do anything I'm going to look into that.

As of now I plan on simply screwing those camera mounts on the aluminum on the edge of the fixture right in the middle inbetween the 3 bulbs.

If that works and there isn't a lot of wiring of the fixture itself or electric boards I may drill two small holes to feed kessil wiring through. Otherwise I'll just run the kessil wiring on the fixture with those stick on wire anchors.

Some of you may say I'm crazy if I consider making any modifications or holes to fixture and I recognize that. But I'm all about a clean look and I don't have any other ideas just yet.

This is not definitive.

Link to articulating camera mounts would be something like this....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...mera+mount&dpPl=1&dpID=411BldKP8nL&ref=plSrch

I won't be removing reflectors. If you see space just on outside of fixture by the tag....that's where I may place the camera mounts. Therefore won't sacrifice any T5 bulbs at all

You have 3 options when hanging your ati if you don't want a canopy:

1. The including hanging kit which I used. (Don't just mount to dry wall, use joists or mount a 1x4 between two joists and attach the fixture to that. You can paint the 1x4 to match your ceiling. That is what I did)

2. Create hangers out of bent pipe conduit from Lowes or home depot. Attach the hangers to the back of your stand with metal conduit mounting brackets.

3. Fabricate acrylic "stilts" that fit on the rim of the tank and hold the fixture (not pretty imo and difficult).

I recently upgraded from a 40b to a 90g and kept my 36" 6 bulb ati sunpower. It's hanging in the middle of the canopy from a bar that I can pull out to remove the fixture to clean or change bulbs. I then have 2 kessil a350ws mounted to each side of the canopy pointing down across the tank. I used these awesome low profile articulating mounts specifically designed for kessils. They screw right into the canopy and have an outstanding range of motion:

Articulating LED Mount for Kessil LEDs | Premium Aquatics
https://premiumaquatics.com/product...il-leds.html?gclid=CMDrzsH0zdQCFZZWDQodWJkJqg

BTW, although I personally would never hang the fixture from the ceiling/drywall/plaster without using joists or the 1x4 method, people have had success using butterfly bolts or other similar devices that spread the weight out across a larger portion of the ceiling material than if you were to simply screw the hanging kit into the ceiling. I believe the fixture comes with some but I would upgrade to larger ones for added stability if you go that route.

As far as mounting kessils to the ati fixture itself, you would not be able to use the splash shield (which is also an integral part of the cooling system as it directs the air flow from one side of the fixture out of the other). Your best bet would be to mount each one on the side rims of the tank with the articulating arms they sell, or, you could screw in some sort of bracket to clamp the articulating arms to on top of the fixture and bend the lights down towards the tank. Just make sure it's mounted securely due to the added weight.

If you aren't set on kessils, reef brite xhos (tech strips won't show up much when all t5 bulbs are on) can be mounted to the ati fixtures on front and back with easily findable prefabricated brackets.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One of the locals got an eight bulb, rewired it a bit to work with three bulbs on either side and mounted his kessils where the middle two bulbs were.

Don't mess the ATI up permanently. Soon, you will realize that the Kessils are supplementing your T5s and wonder why you just don't put the other two T5s back in and get rid of the Kessils.

When I was running my 120, I bought a cheap 8 bulb fixture and drilled out two holes in the center for the Kessils. I ran two bulbs on each side, with two A350s in the middle. It worked really well and the color was much better than the Kessils alone. It also helped a lot with the LED shadowing. I would not drill that ATI fixture, but wouldn't mind selling it off for an el cheapo fixture if I found myself in your shoes.

Back