ATI True Actinic bulbs are a must in every combo

50% of your lighting should be true actinics for growth. Also the bulbs need to be in the right slots on an API with automatic programming.

I don't think you "have" to run the true actinics.

These are recommendations from the ATI website.

16K - 20K - Bluish white with a noticable blue and red under-tone
4 ATI Blue Plus
1 ATI Coral Plus
1 ATI Purple Plus

12K - 16K - Cool white with a noticable blue and red under-tone
3 ATI Blue Plus
2 ATI Coral Plus
1 ATI Purple Plus

10K - 14K - Crisp white with just a hint of blue
3 ATI Blue Plus
2 ATI Aquablue Special
1 ATI Purple Plus

Your problem was the 2 purple+

I run
- 3 blue+
- 1 purple+
- 1 aquablue special
- 1 coral+

You can read up on the ATI bulbs here
click this link

@ Ariel110G, what bulbs do you have in what slots? Right now I have the 16K-20K combo recommended by ATI. I wanted to try the True Actinic combo.

True actinics for growth is a first for me to hear. Id figure they would be more for color. Thats said the below placement would be way too blue for my taste.

2 True Actinic
3 Blue Plus
1 Purple Plus

Id try:

Coral+
B+
Purple+
Coral +
True Actinic
Blue+

Actinics help to complete the color spectrum for best growth but they do need to be paired with "sunlight whites" 65ooK and lower for completed spectrum and accelerated growth. This actually accelerates the growth of the Coral health by increasing photosynthesis in the zooxanthellae which intakes carbon dioxide and produces oxygen and carbohydrates for the corals. Best results for growth and visual color is a combination in equal ratios of whites and blues hence the popularity of the 50/50 setups. Personally I utilize the white actinics (~12k) and the blue actinics ~ 420 -460 range in equal proportions Anything else is just for ascetics.

I'm running a 4 bulb T5 and have the following and it's far from being too blue. All of the colors of my fish POP as well as the corals and my beautiful SBTA and RBTA

RAL01039 AquaticLife 22 inch 420/460nm Actinic 24 Watt T5 Fluorescent Lamp (AquaticLife Item # 410039)
2 $14.19 $28.38

RAL01223 AquaticLife 22 inch 460/620nm Purple 24 Watt T5 Fluorescent Lamp (AquaticLife Item # 410223)
1 $14.19 $14.19

RAL01273 AquaticLife 22 inch 14K 24 Watt T5 Fluorescent Lamp (AquaticLife Item # 410273)
1 $14.19 $14.19

This was my order from Marine and Reef.com My purple arrived broken and they shipped out it's replacement within 30 minutes. Besides that they have by far the best price I found on these bulbs. My tank looks amazing and color is just outstanding. Too bad I don't have a good camera to take pictures :(

Yea I purchase 4 bulbs a few months ago and decided to leave it in the box until they were ready for installation. A month later when needed I opened the box only to find all 4 bulbs were shattered. I sure learned my lesson!

Yea I purchase 4 bulbs a few months ago and decided to leave it in the box until they were ready for installation. A month later when needed I opened the box only to find all 4 bulbs were shattered. I sure learned my lesson!

I heard a very distinct rattle in the box so I opened it right away and found the busted bulb. That sucks you waited for sure. I am really happy with my choice of bulbs and I will say that I've not found a cheaper place to buy anything not wet for tanks than from Marine and Reef.com Carlos to me goes above and beyond great customer service :thumbsup:

Actinics help to complete the color spectrum for best growth but they do need to be paired with "sunlight whites" 65ooK and lower for completed spectrum and accelerated growth. This actually accelerates the growth of the Coral health by increasing photosynthesis in the zooxanthellae which intakes carbon dioxide and produces oxygen and carbohydrates for the corals. Best results for growth and visual color is a combination in equal ratios of whites and blues hence the popularity of the 50/50 setups. Personally I utilize the white actinics (~12k) and the blue actinics ~ 420 -460 range in equal proportions Anything else is just for ascetics.

So I was actually thinking of taking out the 1 Purple + that I have and adding another Actinic, so having just 3 True Actinic's and 3 Blue +, but now your saying that it's good to combine with day light, so maybe to take out the Purple + and to put back in the Coral + instead ? All I want is good growth, it looks like to me that every SPS coral that I get just bleaches out or dies, all my other corals are doing good.
If the Purple + does not do much for growth, then I don't care to take it out.

I've replaced two blue + by Actinics in my tank and noticed a ton of difference.
Strawberry shortcakes reacted immediately with insane coloration.
I do blue+ to supplement the actincs and agree actinics are a must.

So I was actually thinking of taking out the 1 Purple + that I have and adding another Actinic, so having just 3 True Actinic's and 3 Blue +, but now your saying that it's good to combine with day light, so maybe to take out the Purple + and to put back in the Coral + instead ? All I want is good growth, it looks like to me that every SPS coral that I get just bleaches out or dies, all my other corals are doing good.
If the Purple + does not do much for growth, then I don't care to take it out.

My 4 bulbs are
2 actinics
1 purple plus
1 14k

Keep your purple and get a really good blue + but the higher the spectrum the better. You can even go to 20k I settled on 14k for that bulb. The guy's at Marine and Reef.com spent the time with me on the phone to make my choice for what I wanted. You can call them as well .They know their business and they know reef tanks.

I've replaced two blue + by Actinics in my tank and noticed a ton of difference.
Strawberry shortcakes reacted immediately with insane coloration.
I do blue+ to supplement the actincs and agree actinics are a must.

Exactly. The colors pop but everything looks natural lighting. It's amazing :artist:

Also remember to replace all T5 bulbs at the same time, this way you know how old they are. They need to be replaced every 7-9 months. Your corals will let you know when it's time.

I agree. Never used Actinics until a year ago in my 8 bulb fixture, always heard they were too low in par. Added 2 ATI Actinics and really liked the look. Tried the Giessmann Super Actinics this time around and they are awesome too.

Back