ATL Meteor Frag up for trade for your...?

DLANDINO

D.L. Heritage Rings
This is a genuine ATL Meteor Shower Cyphastrea that has been overgrowing a 2" plug. In fact, it is on the plug base as well and can be placed anywhere you like as it will quickly being to cover adjacent rock or sand surfaces. I find that this particular coral will quickly decline in less than perfect water conditions and in low alk environments so if you are thinking of a trade please be sure that your DKH is at least 10+ and all of your other numbers are dead on.

Additionally, this piece looks incredible under actinic supplementation and you will not be disappointed. Looking to trade for your LPS frag or colony so...what do you have to offer? I am in Clinton 06413 and can travel to meet 1/2 way within a reasonable distance. PM's please and thanks.

Attachments

• meteor shower coral.jpg
    meteor shower coral.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 0
It is sensitive. The thing is, you probably won't kill it. It will just look bad. It does like a higher dkh level, or at least a stable dkh lvl. But it will stand out and be the brightest at higher dkh lvls. It is a good grower under good conditions as well. I have some in my tank as well, we ordered these together from atl. It is a VERY good indicator coral. When mine starts looking rough, I know something is off and its time to start testing things. They grow fast, color up fast, but look bad fast. It's the first coral in my tank full of delicate sps and chalice to look horrible if something is wrong lol. But in my experience it also bounces back really easily. A "canary" coral so to speak lol.

is it more sensitive then other lps or sps? y do you need 10+ dkh?

Its the conditions he wishes its new home to be... he has found out through his own experience of keeping this peice, that is where it does best...

I applaud him for it personally, to ensure the living creature he keeps, goes to a proper home in which he feels comfortable with... and that it is kept in similiar conditions as it is now...

Its the conditions he wishes its new home to be... he has found out through his own experience of keeping this peice, that is where it does best...

I applaud him for it personally, to ensure the living creature he keeps, goes to a proper home in which he feels comfortable with... and that it is kept in similiar conditions as it is now...

i understand Its the conditions he wishes its new home to be.............. some do things a little different. i like his answer better.

It is sensitive. The thing is, you probably won't kill it. It will just look bad. It does like a higher dkh level, or at least a stable dkh lvl. But it will stand out and be the brightest at higher dkh lvls. It is a good grower under good conditions as well. I have some in my tank as well, we ordered these together from atl. It is a VERY good indicator coral. When mine starts looking rough, I know something is off and its time to start testing things. They grow fast, color up fast, but look bad fast. It's the first coral in my tank full of delicate sps and chalice to look horrible if something is wrong lol. But in my experience it also bounces back really easily. A "canary" coral so to speak lol.

i really like the canary explanation.

i hope no one thinks im trying to be sarcastic with some questions...i am just trying to better my knowledge. so thanks for the info:)

Last edited:
Nobody thinks you are sarcastic bro. =) Legit questions. I only answered for Dave because him and I live right down the road from each other and are good buddies. 3 of us here in Clinton bought the ATL meteor shower at the same time and have pretty much experienced the same conditions. I know how it can bleach and brown out in a hurry from first hand experience lol. My sps will be fine and that meteor show will be off a touch and I know somethings wrong right then. I'm sure Dave will agree because we have actually just recently had this conversation.

Thanks all. Roman is right and in fact when I wrote the post I thought specifically of a canary / barometer scenario. This particular coral is always the first to exhibit discoloration and recession when something is off kilter. He is also correct in its ability to recover in time. I have recently found that higher DKH levels for my tank has yielded great color and growth rewards for all of my corals and because my tank has such a small water volume continuity of levels is a tough thing to achieve without a lot of testing and chemistry magic. For instance, I dose b-ionic two part twice daily. 2 lf oz. alk and 2. fl ox ca2 twice daily for a total of 4 fl ounces each. I also dose a total of 4 fl oz. of dissolved baking soda and ro/di water nightly in order to keep my numbers level. My mixture is 1 1/8 cups of unbaked baking soda to 1 gallon of ro/di water thoroughly dissolved. Speaking only about alk and calcium now, I strive for a 480 Ca2 and 10+dkh and test about twice per week.

At any rate, great questions and posts by all. Keep the chemistry conversation going ion this thread if you all like. Next to proper cleaning, WC etc etc the chemistry of our tanks is by far the most important aspect of a healthy tank and there is much to learn from the individual tips and tricks that we all learned along the way that makes our reef lives easier.

Last edited:
in my system, the alkalinity is by far the most important parameter... however mine is kept at 8... its truely the only parameter i really worry about... well besides salinity of course, but that should go without saying ;)

i like his answer better.

I'm happy for ya... lol

Dave if I was able to support this I'd be all over it. Pretty sure PCs over an 8g BC wond cut it. You around Tuesday? Maybe me and the little guy will swing by.

This coral doesn't need much for light. chemistry is more important. If your water params are good then I bet you would be fine.

I'd hate to risk a specimen like that, especially when I'll have my barebottom cube up and running in the next month or two. I'm also not sure what I've got Dave would be interested in....

Roman is right, the chemistry is really the important factor here. I have colonies of this stuff growing in high light, 4 inches from a MH bulb, at the bottom of the tank on the floor and in VERY indirect light nearly shaded on a rock overhang. The polyps that are 4" from the light are not as vibrant as the colonies on sand bed but they do just fine. PC lighting may actually be ok but I'm not sure. Stan, not around on Tuesday's unfortunatley. The best for us is weekends and even those are limited with all of the family activities but I know you work.

Back