Austin goes Rimless - Dudester's 203g mixed reef

Chris is right, but if that link doesn't work for you send me a pm and I'll provide you with the number of my LFS. They'd be able to hook you up with AGE.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12273451#post12273451 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester
Nope, not necessary, and the inner diameter of sched 80 pipe is smaller than sched 40, which restricts flow. For me it's gray sched 40!
Didn't know Savko had sched 40 gray... Will have to look now.

Ordering my 72x24x24 AGE from King Fish on Monday. Very exciting!!

Dudester, i have 2 tunze streams on a tunze controller now.
If you were me, would you stick with those or do the closed loop/oceansmotions like yours.

I'm torn between the closed loop vs my tunzes. Love the flexibility of aiming tunze's and moving them around.

Nervouse about the oceansmotion finicky behaviour.

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!!!!

i want to keep it simple. i'd do the closed loop 100% for the clean look. if i'm going to have any powerheads in the tank, i'll forgo the closed loop.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12310475#post12310475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mratner
Ordering my 72x24x24 AGE from King Fish on Monday. Very exciting!!

Dudester, i have 2 tunze streams on a tunze controller now.
If you were me, would you stick with those or do the closed loop/oceansmotions like yours.

I'm torn between the closed loop vs my tunzes. Love the flexibility of aiming tunze's and moving them around.

Nervouse about the oceansmotion finicky behaviour.

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!!!!
The OM has not been finicky for me at all. Was knocking and hammering when I first set it up but it's because I got it used. After opening it and cleaning it, no problems! :)

Thanks. so for a reef setup, will a OM config work fine without needing any powerheads?

Any optimal hole placement?

I'd have to agree with Jflip on this one. If you drill and set up for a closed loop, then decide you don't like it, you can always cap off the bulkheads. Just set it up with a single or true union ball valve on each return and on the drain, and if you're not happy just turn off the valves and disconnect. And I'll echo Thiago's comment in that my OM has been trouble free once I lubricated it properly. You can definitely set up your reef with a closed loop only in the beginning, but as your corals grow out you'll probably need some supplemental flow, but that can always be added later in the form of powerheads. It would be EXTREMELY difficult to add a CL in the future. Plus, with a PVC bottom and sched 80 bulkheads, there's almost no chance of a leak from the CL holes. The hole placement will depend entirely on your aquascape and whatever flow pattern you desire, so give this a lot of thought and talk with Paul at OM to come up with the best solution.

Thanks that makes sense Dudester!

Also, how is the PVC bottom working out for people. since its not the most industry standard, has anyone heard of ANY problems with it?

Can't wait to get this thing!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12315131#post12315131 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrismunn
isnt grey schedual 40 actually electrical conduit?
Nope, the gray stuff you find at Lowes and HD in the electrical dept. is thinner than schedule 40 and would not be suitable for higher pressure applications, like plumbing a reef.

why is the pvc bottom and sched 80 bulkheads less likely to leak than a glass bottom with standard bulkheads??

once they are seated and water tight, shouldn't they all just function correctly indefinitely, regardless of floor material?

Sched 80 bulkheads are able to be screwed in extremely tightly to PVC without the worry of cracking glass. Also, with the rubber gasket of the bulkhead placed on the INSIDE of the tank, gravity helps to provide the seal. Additionally, if the plumbing from beneath is struck accidentally, this can incite a leak, and again I'd have no reservations tightening the bulkhead more if it's going into PVC.

Its also better for those who plan to drill multiple holes in their base, the more holes you drill in a glass base, the more likey that could be trouble, not as much in a PVC bottom.

Its really a great way to build a tank, IMHO.

Back