Auto-Top Off Siphon Questions

Craig731

Right now I'm using a large 30g bucket for my TO water.

My sump is lower than the level of water in the resevoir so I keep running into issues with a siphon.

Right now I'm using a mag400 and 1/2" tubing for quick topoffs, but am thinking of downgrading to a Tom's Aqualifter.

So my couple of questions.

1- would a check valve be fool-proof way to make sure the siphon doesn't keep? Or is there decent risk of failure?

2 - Can an Aqualifter successfully form a siphon between its input and output hoses when the pump is not running?

Any other tips that maybe i'm stupidly overlooking?

what about the same setup as a return to the tank?
Just a tube with an elbow going to the bottom of the bucket.
Then just drill a hole in the bottom of the elbow to create a siphon break.
A little water will trickle back in to the bucket but when the pump shuts off air will enter the line and break the siphon.

Or you could use a float in the sump like I do.
Then all you need to do is fill the bucket no pump needed at all.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12917436#post12917436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OliverM3
what about the same setup as a return to the tank?
Just a tube with an elbow going to the bottom of the bucket.
Then just drill a hole in the bottom of the elbow to create a siphon break.
A little water will trickle back in to the bucket but when the pump shuts off air will enter the line and break the siphon.

Or you could use a float in the sump like I do.
Then all you need to do is fill the bucket no pump needed at all.

Good call about the siphon break hole. It's my plan to add one if i keep the mag as a top off pump. But I was not sure if it would hamper the ability of the much smaller aqualifter if I change to that.

I use a gravity fed top-off with a float in the sump and a 7 gallon tote hidden in a wicker basket.
You can see some pics in my gallery that may be an option for you if the bucket is already higher then the sump.

It works really well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12917456#post12917456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OliverM3
I use a gravity fed top-off with a float in the sump and a 7 gallon tote hidden in a wicker basket.
You can see some pics in my gallery that may be an option for you if the bucket is already higher then the sump.

It works really well.

I'll have to check it out, thanks.

I went with a JBJ ATO because I tend to get extremely paranoid and I liked the 2 floats and timed auto-turn off Wanted to take as many precautions as I could.

Back