Auto Water Change System

boojumsnark25

Hoping to get some thoughts from folks who have set up auto water change systems. I have a 125 gallon tank and it was originally set up with a 75 gallon sump in the basement; however, I live in Pennsylvania and the cost of keeping the tank temperature up in the winter proved to be too costly. I recently switched to a sump in the tank, but I find that I was spoiled by how easy the water changes were when the sump was in the basement. A few weeks of lugging 5 gallon buckets from the basement (where my mixing station is) up to the tank is getting old quick!

I've been thinking of setting up some sort of auto water change system, since there is already a hole in the floor going down to the basement. However, most of the builds I've seen have been in situations where the water is near the sump and therefore head height isn't an issue. Has anyone seen/developed a system where the water must be pushed up 15 feet or so? Based on my calculations of where the breakeven point is between large weekly and small daily water changes, I think I'd be looking at changing out 4-5 gallons daily.

Thanks!

A Litremeter will do what you need with an extra head unit.
They come up for sale occasionally - Think there is 1 now.
You can also do weekly or whatever with a pump.

Litermeters are excellent. I always reference these videos for using a Litermeter for AWC. Good stuff.

Back