AvitalIsHigh's 1st tank.

AvitalIsHigh

In Memoriam
I just got back from the pet shop with my first tank. Just wanted to run my set up by everyone and get their opinion. I am acclimating everything now and will get a picture once the fish go in and the sand clears from the water.

Tank 50 gallon rimless reef octopus with black silicon.
FilterReef octopus diablo skimmer.
Aqueon proflex filtration system. This is like a canister which hooks up to a hole in the tank. Plants yo filter the water.
Rocks and sand 30 pounds of real reef purple rock.
25 pounds of tonga rock.
5 pounds of broken rocks for the filter.
60 pounds of live aragonite sand.
Lights 2 ecotech radion lights (2nd generation) for my tank.
For the filter plants kessel special blend lights.
Water movement 2 ecotech MP40. These hook up to my reef keeper control center.
For the filter pump I have a Eheim Model 1260.
Salt To start my tank off I bought the saltwater from the store. It was expensive so for when I clean the tank I bought Red Sea Coral Pro.
Fish, crabs and others 1 nemo clownfish
1 marron clownfish
5 firefish
10 assorted crabs (he said they were mainly blue and red crabs)
10 assorted snails
1 long tenticle anenome
1 akon brain coral
1 torch coral
2 bubble coral
1 yellow highlighter acapoco coral
1 zoa combo rock with Darth maul zoas, joker zoas and ring of fire zoas.

Electronics Reef keeper elite control center. After spending 3 hours setting up the filter I thing I will save this for another day.

Any advice on the care of anything I got will be greatly appreciated.
How often should I clean the tank?
Is the reef keeper elite vital to add no or can I add it tomorrow?
Will my lights be good enough to frag coral?
What other fish should I add? I like the dogface puffer.
Do I have to much rock? There is little room for the fish to swim.
I know the employees at my pet store are great but is there anything they missed?
Thanks everyone and I am happy to be part of the reefer club.

Last edited:

AvitalIsHigh

In Memoriam
I forgot I also got a Colbolt heater, red sea test kit, trace elemnts, phosban, charcoal calcium, magnesium and alklity. All water enhances are Red Sea brand.

AvitalIsHigh

In Memoriam
You got all this in one day, 6 fish and 7 corals?
Was there a cycle?
Is this a joke?

7 fish and 6 coral. 8 coral if you include each diffrent type of zoa on the combo rock. There is no cycle because I used a lot of live rock and sand. If I didn't add fish the good bacteria will starve because there will be no fish poop to feed them. I also have a large tank with a lot of room for the fish I got. They remain small.

AvitalIsHigh

In Memoriam
you just jumped right in without research huh?

Is the stuff I bought not good? I was told everything I got was good quality and the tank will basiclly run itself. It also cost more money then I expected. I originally was going to get a biocube. But I was convinced I would want to upgrade quickly and regret buying the biocube and it's cheap components.

Mark9

7 fish and 6 coral. 8 coral if you include each diffrent type of zoa on the combo rock. There is no cycle because I used a lot of live rock and sand. If I didn't add fish the good bacteria will starve because there will be no fish poop to feed them. I also have a large tank with a lot of room for the fish I got. They remain small.

I also missed the anemone.
Day 1?

AvitalIsHigh

In Memoriam

Thanks I read the first two threads and it was very informative. I guess my system is good for coral. Sk8r said that all you need is a skimmer, sump and lights. I have all three. I also have aragonite said like he said. I just need a quarintine tank, but I don't think I am going to add more fish I am happy as it is.

AvitalIsHigh

In Memoriam
I used my red sea test kit and salt meter here are the results. Salinity 1.024, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, a hint of nitrates less then 5, nitrite 0, alkalinity 8.8, calcium 440, magnesium 1300, phosphates 0, PH7.8.

I didn't use any of the supplements yet. The expert told me to wait a few weeks because I am using all new water.

Last edited:

Reefmedic79

Life and Reef Saver

This is a false, especially if proper cycling techniques are used, such as ghost feeding a tank. Also, the maroon clownfish will likely become very aggressive with the other clown in the tank and will get surprisingly large.

Is the stuff I bought not good? I was told everything I got was good quality and the tank will basiclly run itself. It also cost more money then I expected. I originally was going to get a biocube. But I was convinced I would want to upgrade quickly and regret buying the biocube and it's cheap components.

It's not that it isn't good, in fact it looks like the fish store got a great up sale out of you with a lot of quality products.

I used my red sea test kit and salt meter here are the results. Salinity 1.024, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, a hint of nitrates less then 5, nitrite 0, alkalinity 8.8, calcium 440, magnesium 1300, phosphates 0, PH7.8.

I didn't use any of the supplements yet. The expert told me to wait a few weeks because I am using all new water.

Your test results are all within normal limits because there hasn't been enough time for ammonia to build up. If you manage to get out of this set-up without a significant cycle count yourself as lucky and an exception to the rule on how to properly set-up a tank.

If I were you, I would return the fish and corals if you can or risk losing them all when the tank finally does cycle. If you can't return them, have a lot freshly mixed saltwater on stand by for a water change when you start to get the inevitable ammonia spike. I also don't suggest you add anything to the tank, not for a while, and feed very sparsely every 2-3 days and no more than that.

Last edited:

AvitalIsHigh

In Memoriam
Thanks for the advice reefmedic. I will test my ammonia daily and monitor it. I set up the lights last night. I used the default program. I still have a few questions.

How often should I clean the tank?
Will my lights be good enough to frag coral?
What other fish should I add? I like the dogface puffer.
Do I have to much rock? There is little room for the fish to swim.
After dining some research I am thinking of returning my reefkeepers control center. Will I regret it?

cjm5283

You got some great products there. You may have been taken for a ride by the LFS for selling you the best of everything they own all in one day. I would clean the tank every dayish. Clean the glass, look at your filters and skimmer, look at the fish, feed them. You lights will definitely will be good enough to frag coral. Maybe even overkill for your tank based on the dimensions, might only need one light not two but check their website. he dogfish puffer can grow 13 in. so I would say stay away cause it will outgrow your tank and it does need its own space since they are aggressive. You have enough rock I would say. You got everything else top of the line, whats really the cost of the reefkeeper to return it. I would recommend having one if you can afford it.

Sugar Magnolia

Mother of Dachshunds
Staff member
RC Mod
I greatly encourage you to go to the top of this forum and read through all of the stickies. It seems you jumped right in without doing any research at all, and it's unfortunate that it may lead to failure and loss of life in your tank.

AdamSabina

Thanks for the advice reefmedic. I will test my ammonia daily and monitor it. I set up the lights last night. I used the default program. I still have a few questions. How often should I clean the tank? Will my lights be good enough to frag coral? What other fish should I add? I like the dogface puffer. Do I have to much rock? There is little room for the fish to swim. After dining some research I am thinking of returning my reefkeepers control center. Will I regret it?

Welcome to the hobby avitalls. The lights you bought are the very top of the LED options the can do everything maybe too much (literally) for coral. I'd start at 40-50% any higher you may bleach all your corals. For fish I'd wait. You added a lot very fast. I would wait 2 months at least. The dogfaced puffer is a BAD idea. He will eat you crabs, snails, and fire fish. He might even eat you coral. Better ideas; small to mid size wrasse (always go off their full grown size), gobies (not mandarin fish), blennies (they eat algae), or blue green chromis I LOVE MY REEFKEEPER!!! The only reason I'd sell my is to get an apex control. Having said that one of my friends dislikes controllers (he also doesn't own a computer). It's a preference. I don't know what you've heard that was bad but I'd be interested to hear. As for too much rock post a picture. Aquascaping is an art and science. What you have is just as important as to where you have it. Luckily you don't have any big swimmers like tangs or anthias. PS. Keep an eye on your nitrogen cycle. It can swing fast in the beginning. I'd keep salt water on hand incase of water change also I'd keep a bottle of bacteria in the refrigerator.

AvitalIsHigh

In Memoriam
CJM5282 thanks for your input. Is there a daily,weekly, monthly and yearly check list. I am going to pass on the dog pufferfish. My girlfriend gave me her credit card to get a $300 biocube. I ended up adding a 0 to that 300. She is over it. She likes he nemo fish. He chills in the long tip anenome. I will keep the control center I can't get rid of my girlfriends fish.

I sugarmangolia I have a great petshop with an aquatics expert who helps guide me. I read 2 of the 3 sticky's posted earlier.

Mark I will get you pictures tomorow. I am at my girls house.

Adam I am going to pass on the puffer. When I get home I will check the percentage on the lights. It is a complicated system. I want to figure out how to use the wifi for it. I think I am done adding fish I don't want to mess up my tanks mojo. Should I put some rock in the freezer to freeze the bacteria?

AvitalIsHigh

In Memoriam
I tested my tank water again and all the reading are the same. I them brought it to the pet shop for the aquatic specailist to check and he got the same results as me. He was telling me some company wanted to put a machine in the store where we drop our water in and it will give out a whole analysis.