AWC - Neptune DOS - where located - tank or mixing station?

Pokerman11

My saltwater mixing station with RO/DI unit is in my basement. My 50 cube is about 20 feet away with a lift of ~14feet. Neptune web site has the DOS with a lift of 24 feet.

I have an Apex on the tank now and want to create an auto water change setup. Thinking of buying a Neptune DOS.

Would the DOS go at the mixing station - or does it go by the tank?

Also curious if I a do daily AWC (like 1 gal) a day. do I still need to ATO? (or just mix my water with a bit less salt.)

I would put it by the RO unit.
You probably have more space there if i had to guess.
I would still have an ato. You wont be able to mix it right and what if the tank evaproates more then 1 gallon or less then one gallon on some days?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I just set mine up and put it under my tank connecting to water tanks in my basement. It needs to connect to the apex, so if you put it in another room, you will have to run the us cable to the apex (for me it was easier to run the water lines). I also set up another dosing pump to do ato, pumping from a water station in the basement.

So it sounds like the DOS pumps will "push" or "pull / suck" water, depending on where it is vs the source.

I've run Neptune cable for my other tank that also has apex and a basement sump.

I'm curious what pump you are using to lift for your ATO from a basement source.

Personally, I’d put it up by the display just above the level inside the sump. Less chance for a siphon to occur if the tubing springs a leak at the Dos. Only downside is the sound of the Dos running when it’s doing the AWC.

For my ato, I'm using one of the brs dosing pumps. Just set it up and haven't used it yet though. I'll let you know how it works if you are interested.

So it sounds like the DOS pumps will "push" or "pull / suck" water, depending on where it is vs the source.

I've run Neptune cable for my other tank that also has apex and a basement sump.

I'm curious what pump you are using to lift for your ATO from a basement source.

AWC has no bearing on needing an ATO or not. You will still want an ATO setup. For a basement setup where noise isn't an issue, I would suggest looking at a Stenner pump for the ATO and seperate float sensors via your Apex to control it. It will be the last ATO pump you'll ever buy. They are absolutely bullet proof commercial grade peristaltic pumps. I've been using one for my ATO for many years and you can't kill them. They can push or pull water around the block and back. Another option would be a Spectrapure Litermeter standalone pump. They are super reliable peristaltic pumps and require minimal maintenance and can also push or pull water long distances. That said, if your sump is in the basement, the ATO only needs to send the water to the sump so you don't need to worry about pumping long distance unless your RODI tanks are far away from the sump.

thanks guys gives me lots to think about. Still thinking the DOS ATO will be best for me. My SW mixing station is basement level, my RO/DI is there, as well it's just concrete floor with a drain.

Not sure yet what to do about ATO. My main DT (with basement sump) I go direct from RO into a topoff tank and then gravity feed via float valve into the sump. I sized the topoff tank so it can go almost 3 weeks, and turn on RO and refill every 2 weeks as part of my maintenance schedule. I never had a float valve failure, but as it's a basement sump on a concrete floor with a drain right there not an issue. Apex salinity alarm would tell me if I was having an issue.

For this 50 cube, I'm thinking I may do the same but put the top-off tank in a closet close to the 50 cube and then gravity feed into the sump with simple float value. As this tank/sump are here in my office with hardwood floors, I can't have an overflow, perhaps I put on a selonid kill switch and program Apex to cut flow if salinity goes out down.

Let me run the tank for a few weeks to see what my average evap rate is and then this will determine the size of the top-off tank needed and next steps. I may also get a
Stenner pump as slief mentioned and pump from a holding tank downstairs.

For me the real thing I want to do right on this tank is automatic water changes. I travel too much for work and it's what I slack off on over time. Also I now believe that AWC is better makes a more stable environment with less parameter swings.

Back