B-ionic a&b question

I have never been clear on HOW ok or NOT it is to dose A&B NOT in equal amounts...

My understanding is you dose them in equal amounts but never at the same time but... but...if my alk is a little lower then I want and the Calcium
is a little higher then I want... Can I dose the ALK by itself and does that not throw the IONIC balance out in doing so? I am pretty sure the mfg told me one time that you can do it but only as an emergency situation not steady....but I cannot remember if I dreamed that or not?

Do you knowwww the answer?

Thx
Tim

hegeh

Yes you can dose alk a little bit more and you need to test every 2days or daily. Once its at the level you want, you can revert to initial dosage.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bertoni

Premium Member
I agree. Dosing a bit more of the alkalinity part is fine. You can dose baking soda if you want to save a bit of money, but either is fine. The effect on ionic balance is very, very small.

coralcruze2020

i would think that as long as you are testing befor making any corrections that it would be ok to use more of one part vs. the other. am I wrong with B-ionic?

bertoni

Premium Member
No, it's fine, as long as you keep in mind the accuracy limits of our test kits. Most tanks are fine with equal parts dosed most of the time, with some require a bit more alkalinity now and then. There's a few processes that consume alkalinity but not calcium:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.htm

One common issue is that calcification will use some magnesium in place of calcium, since they are so alike chemically.