Baby clowns! Finally

Og57

Been a long road but finally getting somewhere with breeding clownfish. Made it to day 13 after hatch and still have 40-50. Mother of this batch is a plain Ocelleris and male looks pretty much like a Wyoming white. It's so cool to watch them change every day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
Nice job. You should be getting anything from regular occys to davincis to ww. It's fun to watch them develop and see what you get. Have you gotten a thing from the snow/onyx yet?

Nice job. You should be getting anything from regular occys to davincis to ww. It's fun to watch them develop and see what you get. Have you gotten a thing from the snow/onyx yet?

Hi Gabe,
I've hatched out a couple of nests from them but kept screwing things up. Tomorrow night they should have a hatch so fingers crossed. Think my main problem was too strong a light for the first few days.
It really is amazing to watch the transformation from day to day, can tell I should get a pretty wide variety of markings just from what I see right now!

Awesome, can't wait to see more pics. Is the regular occy female the one you got from me or is she paired up with something else? Yeah just the right amount of light was something that I struggled with too. This time around I'll be using a dimable dome light for the fry tank, I'm hoping it makes things easier.

Yes that's her. She's a big bossy thing but lays like clockwork.
I'm going to use a different light because my normal one is occupied with the grow out. Hopefully it's not too much. What worked for me this last time was putting a sheet of paper towel over the screen on top of the tank to diffuse the light further. Guess I'll find out tomorrow night.

Please post pics when you get them going, I never got around to raising a clutch from them so I'd like to see what I missed out on. I have a feeling they will be some great looking clowns.

15 days since hatch on this batch. Still a wide variety of patterns and sizes. Tonight should be hatch night for the others.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
How long does it take for clowns to pair. Up. I've had a black and white clown for some time now and I just introduced a new one I got a new black and white one at the frag swap. I hoping to get into breeding them.

I'm certainly not an expert, but would think it depends on the fish. I had the mature female first(from gar732)and introduced the male about a month after the system was set up. They got along right from the first night. After a little more than a month they started to spawn. Took a couple of spawns to start having good clutches.

How'd the hatch go?

How long does it take for clowns to pair. Up. I've had a black and white clown for some time now and I just introduced a new one I got a new black and white one at the frag swap. I hoping to get into breeding them.

A longer light period, higher temps, and heavy feeding will help to get them breeding. Keep in mind that none of that is good for a reef and will only apply if you have them in their own tank. If you have them in a reef just feed them as best you could and wait. I have a clown that is 14yrs old and just stared laying a couple of months ago.

took a picture of this guy the other day, thinking of calling him F-bomb, or maybe FrankšŸ˜‚

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 0
Please post pics when you get them going, I never got around to raising a clutch from them so I'd like to see what I missed out on. I have a feeling they will be some great looking clowns.

19 dph for the Snow Onyx pair. Doing pretty good, most of them have there 1st stripe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
Nice! What are you running your temps at? What is you feeding schedule and what are you feeding? Yeah it's next to impossible to get good pics, all the halfway decent pics I posted were just the best out of probably hundreds taken.

Have the temp hovering right around 80, just starting to switch these guys off Rotifers and completely onto Oto a1. Been feeding a pinch 3 times a day. Also been adding in a bit of Oto b in there too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back