Back into it

Hey everyone,

After been out of the saltwater for almost 3 years, I'm coming back with a new project.

The idea is to have multiple smaller displays (10-20 gal) all connected to one sump creating a higher volume system, that will allow me to create different aqua scapes and environment on each one.

The whole thing is going on 5 level metal shelve system, here is the project:

1.jpg

Here is what I'm planning for each display:

1. Couple clowns and anemones with minimal rock and sand.

maxresdefault.jpg

marvinsreef-110g-clownfish-and-anemone-tank-pic1-jpg-5752d1353007893

2. Heavy on rocks, soft & LPS corals, mushrooms and minimal fish (nano fish).

fullSM.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

3. Open concept, lots of sands, a couple isolated pieces rocks with some higher end coral potentially SPS, shrimps and mid water column fish.

f8d61edd98de9d00114b382ab070ccbb.jpg

b3143c5c3aabf5e806640044b5ca3036.jpg

4. (Sump) Almost like a display, lots of macro algae, cheato, sand and mangroves.

254_LetGoodAlgaeBeatBad_69071K_002.jpg

5df35f020d96966a2ad1519fd90c42ec--aquascaping-seaweed.jpg

What do you guys think?
Any feedback good or bad will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Back into it

Sounds fun! I can see the advantage in being able to have a lot of variety which is not possible with one tank.

Nice! Excited to see how it comes along.

First pic isn't loading for me though

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Make sure you enough space to work over the top of each setup with the lights there.

Hey Andre! Good to hear from you.

Neat idea what you propose.

I ran a common sump for a couple years with my 100g mostly sps tank and my 60g mostly lps flat. It certainly was more convenient than trying to maintain ideal water quality in two water systems.

I did have a nagging feeling that the common water was a bit too "dirty" for sps, and a bit too "clean" for lps. At the time I was feeding my lps pretty heavily, so likely my fault.

Looking forward to hearing how it's going. Please keep us updated.

I echo Yuri's thought about making sure you have enough space above each tank to be able to work comfortably.

Sounds like a cool build.
I've got tons of nems. If I can figure out how to get them out, you are welcome to several.

I've also been thinking about a macro algae tank. Perhaps we could purchase together???

I've got tons of nems. If I can figure out how to get them out, you are welcome to several.

I've also been thinking about a macro algae tank. Perhaps we could purchase together???
Ice cubes John, hold it on their foot and they eventually let go. If you can take the rock out of the water and hang them upside down or side ways while using the ice cube that will speed up the process.

Ice cubes John, hold it on their foot and they eventually let go. If you can take the rock out of the water and hang them upside down or side ways while using the ice cube that will speed up the process.

Thanks Mav.
Not to hijack the thread but...
Most have their feet (foots?) buried deep in the rock. I'll see what I can do. My tank is becoming overrun with them.
I don't think removing rock is an option either because I can't tell exactly where they are attached. I'd hate to rip one up.

Hey Andre! Good to hear from you.

Neat idea what you propose.

I ran a common sump for a couple years with my 100g mostly sps tank and my 60g mostly lps flat. It certainly was more convenient than trying to maintain ideal water quality in two water systems.

I did have a nagging feeling that the common water was a bit too "dirty" for sps, and a bit too "clean" for lps. At the time I was feeding my lps pretty heavily, so likely my fault.

Looking forward to hearing how it's going. Please keep us updated.

I echo Yuri's thought about making sure you have enough space above each tank to be able to work comfortably.

My sps tank was *filthy* and they did pretty good. I think most people starve their sps.

But yes this is a good point.

Thanks for the feedback.mI will definitely keep everyone posted.

I started making holes on the tanks for the overflows and returns yesterday.

Make sure you enough space to work over the top of each setup with the lights there.

My goal this weekend is to put the empty tanks in place to figure out the spacing.

Yes and yes! I will reach out to you for some nems in the future. I used aquariumdepot com in the past for macro algae and inverts, it was a good experience.

At some point as well I will need a piece of live rock to seed the tank, so if any of you have extra live rock laying around let me know.

Here how is shaping up.

Spacing is good on the top two shelves. I need a little more space on top of the sump, so I will move its shelve a couples inches down since the bottom shelve os only for RO freshwater and extra saltwater, I don't need much space there.

IMG-20210209-140224.jpg

IMG-20210209-140259.jpg

IMG-20210207-162005.jpg

And yes I will get rid of all those bettas and only keep one or two.

Hey Andre,
I might have some live rock for you, I'll let you know after this weekend.

Yuri

Does anybody has some extra rocks? Live or dry.
Sorry Andre, I didn't get to setup the tank last weekend. Hopefully this weekend. Even if I don't fully set it up, I will have at least 1 medium sized live rock for you. DM me and we can workout the details.

Yuri

Things are moving well.

Got some ceramic filter media from amazon, I was very impress with the absorption and quantity for the price ($16), and created a filter media pads basket for the sump.

IMG-20210219-140829.jpg

Screen-Shot-2021-03-01-at-3-03-29-PM.png

IMG-20210217-103949.jpg

Also got some dry rocks from fellow reefer, and add a second display that i'm experimenting with different color background.

IMG-20210301-144122.jpg

Last but not least, I converted a couple of mollies to saltwater and they are my cycling fish.

IMG-20210301-144137.jpg

First two display are up and running.

This one is going to be the LPS soft corals with a dense look, my idea is to let the corals take over to see what happens. Since was the first one I set it up the algae is starting to show.

IMG-20210331-151405.jpg

The second one is probably for anemones and clowns, and thats the reason it has a simpler aquascape, so the anemone can move around and find the spot it likes the most, hopefully will be on top of the big rock so I will have a nice cave with lots os flow around it.

IMG-20210331-151359.jpg

I will get some clean up crew in the next few days.

Did anybody have been to the new store in Rohnert Park?

Good job getting those set up.

Yes, I have been to the reef store on Commerce in RP. Bought a rock, a shrimp and some food. Was pleasantly surprised. Hope they can survive.

Back