Back to the hobby

RidinBurton

Hey everyone, I was last here 2 years ago when I was first getting into the hobby. Linked below is a post which shows my original setup.

Unfortunately my first attempt did not go well. Even being cautious I still ended up with a terrible red algea problem which took over the tank, my corals were dying and it got out of control. Below is the equipment I was using, and I still have all of it sitting in the garage for when I got the courage to attempt this beautiful hobby again.

29 Gallon aquarium
-Aqua C Remora HOB protein skimmer with maxijet 1200 pump
-4 Bulb t5HO ballast with 2day lights and 2 acintic bulbs
-AquaClear 110 HOB filter (with cheato algea and spare live rock as make shift refugium)
-Heater
-Dead Rock
-A few pieces of live rock from LFS (later found it introduced worms and other pests into the system)
-Live sand
-BRS 4 stage RODI
-BRS carbon and GFO units
-JBJ auto top off
-Large Brute container with pre mixed salt water for 20% weekly water changes
-All necessary testing equipment for testing water parameters

I let the tank sit empty and cycle for 1.5 months before all parameters were 0 before adding a small clean up crew, 2 peppermint shrimp, and 2 clown fish (over the period of a month) as to not overload the tank. I would later add a frogspawn and torch coral. Unfortunately the live rock, or corals brought in a thin red algae which spread throughout the tank and began killing the corals which forced me to shut it down. Even weekly 50% water changes, and carbon/gfo reactors couldn't slow it down.

Looking at getting back into the hobby I was very interested in starting a 40 gallon breeder or 120 gallon tank as I here the dimensions are ideal for reef tanks. I am sure that some of my equipment such as the hob protein skimmer would be replaced as I would like to run a setup with a sump. The initial price of a 120 gallon tank scares me, but I have read that lighting is essentially the same on a 120 as a 40 due to the dimensions. If this is true that would alleviate some of my fears as lighting fixtures are so damn expensive! This would also eliminate the fear of wanting to go bigger in the future.

It is my hope to create a tank with a few small fish, and a lot of LPS corals, maybe a few SPS a few years down the road as I begin to feel more comfortable.

I guess the whole point of the post was to ask if anyone had thoughts regarding the 40 vs 120 debate.

PS I found this tank on my local craigslist. I would like to have a refugium in my sump so that I could grow copeopods to feed my dream fish (mandarin goby) and this sump is not set up for a refugium which is my main concern. Also it is only 2 light fixture which I am not sure if it will support my LPS coral concerns.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/5777372986.html
Thoughts?

I think the lighting would still run you a lot more for the 120, but that said if your intention is to keep corals I think you will outgrow the 40 rather quickly. Honestly I suspect the 120 would cost twice as much total as the 40. The 120 also allows you to keep several fish that would not work in your 40 gallon tank. A small appropriate tang like a Kole tang would also help you keeping the algae in check.

"I guess the whole point of the post was to ask if anyone had thoughts regarding the 40 vs 120 debate"

IMHO bigger tanks are easier once established.
But IF you go big then I would get a sump not HOB skimmer

Back to the hobby

I am in the process of setting up a 120, which I love. It's a great tank size. I also agree that the 40B has great proportions and there are lots of beautiful 40B reefs.

The bigger tank is going to be more $$. The 120 is four feet, the 40B three. The lights, skimmer, return pump, powerheads, live rock, sand, salt, additives, etc. will all be proportionally more expensive. If you are on a strict budget, you should sit down and do some honest pricing and see the difference. You can get a pretty good idea of used prices if you google. You don't want to be overstretched to the point that you can't replace equipment when it breaks or afford to put the neat things in your tank when it's ready. That's no fun.

If there's any doubt, I'd recommend the 40B with as big a sump as you can fit. Buy good quality used equipment that you can sell again if you decide you really need more room in a year or two.

Hmm, guess I should say I bought used LEDs, tank, stand, sump, skimmer, and live rock. I bought new powerheads, return pump, and heaters as these are critical functions and used ones I've found to be unreliable. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I guess the whole point of the post was to ask if anyone had thoughts regarding the 40 vs 120 debate.

PS I found this tank on my local craigslist. I would like to have a refugium in my sump so that I could grow copeopods to feed my dream fish (mandarin goby) and this sump is not set up for a refugium which is my main concern. Also it is only 2 light fixture which I am not sure if it will support my LPS coral concerns.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/5777372986.html
Thoughts?

40vs 120, IMO its all about available space and finances, also commitment to the hobby. If your still hesitant to get back in then it will be far cheaper to do the 40 then the 120 not to mention easier to sell off if things don't work out as you had anticipated.

The craigslist tank is reasonable in price and the PC light fixture will suffice for the time being but in the long haul I'm sure an upgrade will be in the future. As for the sump, if you could eliminate the bioball tower and relocate the skimmer to that area then you could use the current skimmer section as a fuge. If the construction is glass it will be relatively easy to cut the tower out, far more difficult if it is acrylic but still doable.

As the others have said, there isn't much help we can provide for whether you should go with the 40 or 120. If you finances will allow it, go with the 120. If you sit down, create a realistic budget, and come to the conclusion that it is too expensive, then go with the 40B.

Bigger is more expensive initially, but less headache down the road usually, with the exception of carrying lots of buckets for water changes :rollface:

I am in the process of setting up a 120, which I love. It's a great tank size. I also agree that the 40B has great proportions and there are lots of beautiful 40B reefs.

The bigger tank is going to be more $$. The 120 is four feet, the 40B three. The lights, skimmer, return pump, powerheads, live rock, sand, salt, additives, etc. will all be proportionally more expensive. If you are on a strict budget, you should sit down and do some honest pricing and see the difference. You can get a pretty good idea of used prices if you google. You don't want to be overstretched to the point that you can't replace equipment when it breaks or afford to put the neat things in your tank when it's ready. That's no fun.

If there's any doubt, I'd recommend the 40B with as big a sump as you can fit. Buy good quality used equipment that you can sell again if you decide you really need more room in a year or two.

Hmm, guess I should say I bought used LEDs, tank, stand, sump, skimmer, and live rock. I bought new powerheads, return pump, and heaters as these are critical functions and used ones I've found to be unreliable. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1...This

I had a 180 a while back, other than reaching into the tank and the extra cost, it was the easiest tank to take care of and coral grew fast.

get the 120.....
Easier to control, as things will happen slowly....especially with water control.
A lot easier than a 40g....

Get the 120, no question about it. I have always done large tanks in the past, my current tank is only 50 gallon. The smaller tank is less stable and more work.

Back