Ballast for 80 watt T5?

BusterDog

What ballast can I use for 80 watt T5s?
I can not seem to find a spec ballast.
I read in one of the threads that Workhorse may not be the best choice for T5.
I am not interested in overdriving the bulbs.

Thanks,
Todd

It depends on how many you want to run. Workhorse ballasts do just fine. Workhorse 7 can power 2 T5HO I believe. You could get an IceCap 660 and power a couple, but it would overdrive them. I'm not a big fan of overdriving either. You could also check on ballastwise.com for some good prices. I haven't used the ballast that I have right now, so I couldn't tell you my personal experience with them.

Thanks,
I couldn't find a 80 watt T5 ballast on ballastwise.com, but I like their prices. I wish they did have a spec ballast.
I'll look into the Workhorse 7.

workhorse ballasts work fine for t5ho. i have 19 months of use on my w5 driven 3x39w t5ho retro, and still original bulbs.

fwiw, it appears that aquactinics tested burnt out t5 ho bulbs on a w ballast, and no harm was done to the good bulbs, or ballast, nor any weird electrical nightmare that some here on RC speak of when a t5 lamp burns out when using a w ballast.

I asked that very question to the people at ballastwise. They state to drive 2 80W T5HO use ballast #DXE4HO5U. This is a program start with end of life protection rated for up to 4 54W, and will handle 2 80's. Then for a single 80W use their ballast #DXE2HO5U.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8130906#post8130906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bathypelagic
I asked that very question to the people at ballastwise. They state to drive 2 80W T5HO use ballast #DXE4HO5U. This is a program start with end of life protection rated for up to 4 54W, and will handle 2 80's. Then for a single 80W use their ballast #DXE2HO5U.
Cool! I have one of these ballasts that I was planning on using to replace 2 Triad ballasts. It will run 4x54W lamps. I plan on reusing the 6x54W from my 90G in the new 180G and install them in a staggered setup. I was also planning on adding 2x80W into the hood. It would be nice to use another Ballastwise to run them instead of the $$ Ice Cap. Did they say what wiring config to use? Is it the standard 2 lamp wiring?

No he didn't say anything on wiring but I would assume it would just be the standard two bulb configuration. Just go to their website, click on contacts and send an email off to simon, I believe it's the first selection. He got back to me within 48 hours.

Clarification: IceCap VHO ballasts only increase power to the 80-watt T5HO bulbs by 25% or to 100-watts per lamp. In a well vented reef application these lamps should last two years before needing to be replaced.
A Model 660 can run 2 or 3 of the lamps at the same 100-watts per lamp output.

Andy

Thanks for the clarification Andy, I had ruled out using IceCap ballasts because of the bulb life issues & I don't need the extra brightness of overdriving. 25% isn't bad, especially if I can get 2 years of bulb life.

Any plans to produce IceCap reflectors for the 80 watt bulbs in the near future?

Yes there are.
We're handling bona fide 80-watt users in need of our SLR and shipping them from IC so we can sell a pair of 39-watt SLR (33"), which can be fine tuned to whatever length you want over your 80-watt lamps. As the SLR slide over each other it's very easy to make them into a single longer SLR. If you're in need and need one now, e-mail me at andy@icecapinc.com . The price before shipping per pair is set to what an 80-watt SLR would normally retail at.

Andy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8136599#post8136599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ASH
Yes there are.
We're handling bona fide 80-watt users in need of our SLR and shipping them from IC so we can sell a pair of 39-watt SLR (33"), which can be fine tuned to whatever length you want over your 80-watt lamps. As the SLR slide over each other it's very easy to make them into a single longer SLR. If you're in need and need one now, e-mail me at andy@icecapinc.com . The price before shipping per pair is set to what an 80-watt SLR would normally retail at.

Andy

ok great, then why would you shoot down anyone that recommends IC making 5 foot t5 reflectors, like you have countless times before.

I understand that you probably had tons of reflector material pre cut, and 4 footers were the max size. But really, the reflectors will sell in 2 , 3, and 4 foot lengths in addition to the 5 footers. how much really more would a 5 foot reflector cost you to make? not much. However, numerous reefers would be happy if you did that.

allowing gusy to get two 3foot reflectors for the price of what the 5 footer would cost if you made one is a great interim solution.

and kudos to IC for finally considering a 5 footer:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8141417#post8141417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by horkn
ok great, then why would you shoot down anyone that recommends IC making 5 foot t5 reflectors, like you have countless times before.

I understand that you probably had tons of reflector material pre cut, and 4 footers were the max size. But really, the reflectors will sell in 2 , 3, and 4 foot lengths in addition to the 5 footers. how much really more would a 5 foot reflector cost you to make? not much. However, numerous reefers would be happy if you did that.

allowing gusy to get two 3foot reflectors for the price of what the 5 footer would cost if you made one is a great interim solution.

and kudos to IC for finally considering a 5 footer:)

Price check the difference between shipping a 4 foot and 5 foot box sometime;)

i will today. in additon to all the other hats i wear at my job, i run the ups software as well.

i shipped out a couple 4 foot UV sterilizer bulbs yesterday.

still grim, regardless, there are 5 foot t5s made, there needs to be reflectors for them

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8143199#post8143199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by horkn
i will today. in additon to all the other hats i wear at my job, i run the ups software as well.

i shipped out a couple 4 foot UV sterilizer bulbs yesterday.

still grim, regardless, there are 5 foot t5s made, there needs to be reflectors for them

Trust me, I know. I have a 5 ft tank in the garage waiting to come in the house.

I think I am going to run 4 4 ft lamps and 2 5 ft over that tank. My 125 used 2 & 3 foot reflectors for each lamp, they were too short but stil worked nice. Using 2 3 foot reflectors makes sense. The savings on shipping from a 3 foot to 5 foot box and not having to retool for 5 foot stock will keep costs down. Another advantage to this would be the ability to expand the reflector all the way to the endcaps depending on your installation, at least I know of a way it can be done. Not sure what the IC boys have come up with

Grim, i thought i would get your attention with the 4 foot long UV sterilizer bulbs. :)

it seems the wasterwater industry uses the same tech (albeit larger scale) as the reefkeeping industry

The only hiccup is if they had an actual 5' reflector in the distribution chain, I could go to Reefgeek get all my retro parts, have the order total over $200 and get free shipping. I take it in order to get the two 3' for the price of a standard 5' I have to go direct to IceCap and am now having to pay shipping.

It's still a nice offer from Icecap though, two 3' for the price of a standard 5'.

Back