Ballast for a T5HO retro

Dolfan

I'm looking to just add some supplemental light to my LED lights on my 90g reef. I have plenty of ballasts from when I was running Power Compacts.

Specifically, I have a ARO MR-192 that was running two 96w PC bulbs that I'm curious if I can use it to power either a single 39w T5HO or maybe 2 24w T5HO bulbs.

Any idea if I can reuse this ballast?

Link to a image of the ballast I have. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi-z4nc_svlAhVCn-AKHbsDA4YQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.befr.ebay.be%2Fitm%2FBALLAST-ARO-MR-192-120V-60Hz-%2F163705574657&psig=AOvVaw1NCIsckbrvCikztJyhyUoz&ust=1572799977705970

Looking at the link which was in german? It looks like you can run different wattage lamps on your ballast. But at $20 a piece for lamps x 2 it would not take long for the programmed rapid start ballast to pay for itself since the ballast you have start the lamps differently and wear them out much quicker. You hear the story of T5HO lamps only lasting 8 months, while others say 12 months. Many times it depends on which ballast they are using. Example; programmed rapid start ballast for 2 lamps changed every year for three years cost $120.00. Cheap ballast/instant start ballast change 2 lamps every 9 months for three years 4 x $40 = $160 versus $120 so a savings of $40 paying for the ballast.

Alton,

Thanks for the explanation, I looked at a couple of other sites to understand the key differences and now I see how the pre-heating is a key in the programmed ballast. That being said if we are only turning on/off the light once per day I'm not sure if this falls into the category of high use according to one site I was reading?

Here is one comment from the site

programmed start ballasts are ideal for applications where lights are turned off and on frequently. These applications include classrooms, copy rooms, restrooms, storage rooms or any location an occupancy sensor may be installed.

I'm not arguing just wondering if we are turning on once a day and it is left on for the typical 4-8 hours then off if there is quite the benefit?

I do know more now than I did before though! :)

Back