ballast on canopy or under tank?

jadeguppy

I am wondering if it is better to install the ballast on the canopy or under the tank? If I install it on the canopy, it should be easier to remove the canopy. What are the pros and cons?

Where you chose to mount it makes absolutely no difference as long as...

1. It cant get wet
2. It gets the airflow it needs to not overheat.

I personally have 3 t5 ballasts mounted on top of my canopy. The top is recessed so you cant even tell they're there and both criteria above are met.

not sure I understand your Q. What kind of lights are you installing? Most ballasts dont need a fan to keep cool as long as they have adequate airflow around them.

poppin-fresh nailed it, as long as they're not getting wet or boxed in too much, they'll be fine. Most do not require any type of active cooling, but you don't want to pack it in.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13118404#post13118404 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stagefright13
I put mine on top of the canopy. No chance of getting wet. Even if I had an overflow of some sort.

+1

I think he means INSIDE the canopy. So the fans can cool the ballast. I have mine ON TOP of the canopy. Not inside. They run plenty cool. I run fans on the Metal halide bulb only.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13120745#post13120745 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
Mine are outside the back of my canopy so I don't add more heat to the tank.

Only way to go

How did you mount them on the back? Did you put any sort of heat resistant washer between the ballast and the wood?

I did put a few metal washers bewteen the ballast and wood so air would circulate between the two. I used stainless bolts and nuts so I could get them apart later.

Back