Balling vs salt and water changes

FReek

Hi guys,
Recently got a bad batch of salt.This spiked my parameters and am in need of your input.
Calcium went up to 500,Alk to 15,Mag to 1500,Ph dropped to 7.6. I must add that upon opening the bucket of salt it reeks of a chemical scent.
Issue:
Thought my dosing pumps had over dosed,checked them out at 2 diff samples each,they are spot on.
So I decided to make a 30 gal water change for my 160,waited a day then re-tested,parameters were again identical,I un-plugged my dosing Pumps then re did a water change,still same issue.Mind you I have been using this high end brand salt for over a year with no issues.
History:
Have been dosing 3 part for roughly a year via dosing pumps,water has been remarkably stable with practically no fluctuations. This of course after having figured out my consumptions.

Solution:
So I decided to switch salt,same water change,same parameters,then I decided to slowly dilute the water down with fresh rodi,I would swap 2 gal of fresh rodi for 2 gal of tank water, over a couple weeks Cal is now at 470,Alk at 12,Mag still at 1500,Ph is now 7.9-8.0. Salinity.

What % water change are fellow reefers who also dose balling are doing?
While I plan on testing new buckets of salts prior to using,what is everyone having success with? Almost all salt brands have different parameters.

Thx for the input.

P.s didn't want to name the salt brand as it's irrelevant and can and has happened to different brands,for the record I tested my batch of salt,the parameters are all different than what they are supposed to be.

[welcome]

These levels are safe as is. I would just let the tank consume the excess over time, but a series of 15% water changes should be quite safe.

Back