bamboo shark egg

Probably around 1.5 months would be my guess based on my experience. I have only ever had one shark egg, so I am sure others with more experience will give their opinion shortly. They are so cool when they do hatch, just a heads up, mine didnt eat anything for about 6 or 7 days, he then started to eat a little bit of mysis.

The hatch time will vary based on aquarium husbandry, if at all. What size aquarium do you currently have it in?

I have it in a 55 gal I can see the shark swim around he is about 1 1'5 inch the only thing I have in there is a zebra eel

"I have a 55 gallon tank. I don't know I would say its a reef tank or not , I have 3 anemones , I have one long spine urchin , a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp , two pretty colorful slugs , a bunch of different snails , a type of coral tree , some green dragon eye polyps (just got these ) one colony and a few frags, I also have a sweet lips and a zebra eel in this tank."

This is not the correct environment for a bamboo shark. They will hatch out over half the size of the width of your tank. As well the long spine urchin in such a closed environment will result in injury to the shark and the anemones will do the same. Your tank is very undersized for the housing of a shark. I suggest to read more into what the brown banded bamboo shark (Chiloscyllium punctatum) is. These (IMO) are not correct conditions to rearing this specimen.

Not bashing you, but in the future getting something for free shouldn't mean you don't research it before sticking it in your tank. I would find someone to take it fast! It needs a much larger tank and as others stated you have some residents that will hurt it.

One of the best pieces of advice in this hobby is to slow down and do a ton of research first. :) You really need to find different homes for many of the animals you've mentioned you have in this tank. Sweetlips is going to have to go, they get HUGE. This shark is going to have to go, its far too large for a 55 gallon as well. An eel and any sort of crustacean aren't going to co-exist for long together not to mention a 55 gallon is too small for it as well. Depending on what the "slugs" you mentioned actually are, there could be issues with them being suitable for any length of time as well.

Sorry but that is just the truth.

If the 55 is a standard size then it's probably 4 feet long? The shark can get over 3 feet and will swim a lot - go YouTube some videos.

I feel like I see these shark eggs very often for sale and yet not often do I see people with a tank that could house a shark. I wonder how they continue to sell them at such a rate.

Well I didn't say I was keeping it im going to hatch and keep till it outgrows my tank and only one of u answered my question didn't ask what size tank I need,

Well I didn't say I was keeping it im going to hatch and keep till it outgrows my tank and only one of u answered my question didn't ask what size tank I need,

So in other words, you're going to ignore all the advice you have been given until somebody tells you want to hear. Sorry but that is exactly what that^ type of response indicates. :(

There will be no "keeping it until it out grows your tank". You need to start looking for alternative housing for now. A 55 gallon is not a suitable tank for it for any length of time. You have not just 1 animal but several whose lengths will be measured in FEET, not inches.

So in other words, you're going to ignore all the advice you have been given until somebody tells you want to hear. Sorry but that is exactly what that^ type of response indicates. :(

There will be no "keeping it until it out grows your tank". You need to start looking for alternative housing for now. A 55 gallon is not a suitable tank for it for any length of time. You have not just 1 animal but several whose lengths will be measured in FEET, not inches.

+ 1... don't get mad.... these were poor choices for a 55g... I can say that when I finally got a 55g I felt like I could house anything... unfortunately small fish WILL grow and grow and grow and grow. You get the idea.

I feel like I see these shark eggs very often for sale and yet not often do I see people with a tank that could house a shark. I wonder how they continue to sell them at such a rate.

Its because people like the OP just buy them thinking "omfg cool a shark!" without doing any research on them. Probably 95% of the random shark eggs you see in stores die from situations like this.

LFSs should NOT regularly stock sharks/eggs/whatever!!! I work at one and we never even think about ordering a shark until we've spoken with the person who wants it and have explained the exact kind of care these guys need!

There are way too many threads like this one...:facepalm:

no wonder why so many fish die from this hobby.. people dont research and they just buy/get fish that they want and then they all wonder why the fish died in their tank. sorry to be so harsh but the shark will stress itself out and die. same goes for some of the other fish you have in a tiny 55 gallon tank

Shark hatchlings don't often make it under the best of circumstances. They often never take to feeding. If you jump that hurdle then you have a six inch hatchling that can grow somewhere aroung 8"-10" more in its first year. You have no time to wait.

And for shark eggs, the best chance the shark has is to be born into the tank where it will spend its life.

Research goes before purchase. Even if you're in the LFS and use your phone to lookup info.

Back