Banggai Cardinalfish INFO???

Lpabsolute

I have a 54g. corner tank. Just added two small clowns about 1/2 " in size. I was trying to decide on another fish to add to the tank. I was wondering if i would be able to keep any Banggai Cardinalfish? Has anyone ever had a prob. with them in their reef tanks? I've heard that they would mess with my baby clowns and also my cleaner shrimp. If i get one i would try and get the smallest size i could. My question is would it be a safe addition to my tank? Would it mess with my clowns/cleaner/corals? And would i be able to add just one of them or would two be best? Thanks...........

Here's a pic of what i'm looking for and the size.....

1052486_week_olds.JPG

I've got a pair in my 90 reef, I've never had any problems with them, I really like them because they tend to stay out most of the time. They've never bothered my clows either.

I've got one (I think it's a male with a long second dorsal) for a month. Quite a cool & nice fish. Feed him cooked shrimp meat and frozen brine shrimp. It seems he doesn't accept pellets, but haven't tried the dried shrimp yet. He is brave and has no problems living with two big bullies ,i.e. a Yellow Tang & a Blue Hippo. Might be I'll get him a lady later on. Would you guys tell me in details how to say their difference, please? Isn't it the female is normally smaller in size with shorter dorsal fin? Thanks very much.

Best wishs,

Jimy WONG
from Hong Kong

Mine is a model reef citizen, eats almost everything I put it that isn't nori or macro. I've been trying to determine if its male or female, havent had much luck.

I've had one in my tank for a year and has never bothered anything including my shrimp. IMO you should be fine.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm prob. gonna wait about a month or so until my clowns get real comfortable in my tank before trying to add one. Thanks again.

i have 1 female. went through another 2 females and a male in past 2 years. this 1 is only 1 which has done good, been in for about 1 year. cool fish, always eats alot and isn't a bully or intimidator,and thrives. others never seemed to settle down and didn't eat well and eventually died. 100% reef safe.

I added one about 5 months ago and it doesn't bother anything. I have SPS, LPS, Softies, Polyps and it doesn't touch any. I also have a pair of false clowns and they are fine to. I hear the wild caught ones often die within a couple weeks, but I was lucky. If you can, get a tank bred one. If not make sure it's eatting and hopefully it'll live. HTH

I never had a problem and I have a cleaner shrimp along with two very skinny blue stripe pipe fish which he ignores even though he could easily eat them in one gulp. I would be careful with any fish that it could swallow whole though. The pipefish I think are too long for him but he will eat guppies and grass shrimp.
Paul
13094Copy_of_DSC00918.jpg

Back