Banggai Cardinals (for thos...

The question still where or who is going to sell you the pair. Is it true that only males are released for sale? How do you plan to get females?

Just so you know, the only picture they had there was of a male that already had eggs in his mouth. Doing it from appearance with a non-holding male is not the same.

Right! There is no way to sex Banggai Cardinals. You have to put 3-5 in a group and wait for 2 to pair. I know someone who breeds Banggai's and seahorses. She always has them for sale. LMK if you need the info Ron.

Page not found
The page you are looking for might have been removed,
had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

That would be great if I could sex them. I don't want to group five of them to get a pair again.

I have read a lot, the picture shows the male with eggs in his mouth. And they are sold young enough to sex themselves (kinda like clown fish). I also have found males and females sold locally in Manchester and Vernon.

Frank Marini is an expert on these. He has been doing for many many years. He believes you can sex them.

Breeders Registry

Chickens can be sexed too, but it takes an expert and they aren't always right either.

When my pair (rip) wasn't holding eggs. I couldn't tell the male from the female. I'd try to find a difference when the male was holding, and when he let go of the brood I'd try to find it again, but it would never happen. I've tried comparing everything from that article to no avail.

Chickens can be sexed too, but it takes an expert and they aren't always right either.

When my pair (rip) wasn't holding eggs. I couldn't tell the male from the female. I'd try to find a difference when the male was holding, and when he let go of the brood I'd try to find it again, but it would never happen. I've tried comparing everything from that article to no avail.

Same here. Also the the breeder that I know says you can't accurately sex them, so you have to group them together and wait for a pair to form.

BTW this was written by Frank Marini.

Sexing Banggais This is the most asked question I receive, and the one question I cannot answer fully. Even though I have seen over 300 banggaiԳ I am only 50/50 on juvenile animals (animals under 1-1.5inches SVL). When the animals reach sexual maturity (12-14 months), then the jawline takes on a characteristic structure, particularly the male which gets squared off. The second dorsal fin is an excellent characteristic, as the males second dorsal extends past the caudal peduncle, however this flowing fin is often nipped off by other fish. The most accurate sexing method: My best method of sexing banggais is using my establish male [the original male banggai from the article]. I introduce another banggai into his tank and within 10 mins he either is trying to kill him (male) or trying to mate with it (female)...HE IS 100% ACCURATE!!! I have sexed many friends banggai this way. Alternatively you can buy 4 or 5 banggais allow then to reach sexual maturity and they will pair off, and please, please, return the unpaired banggais.

It would be great if we could produce enough so that every LFS store in CT could sell TR Banggai's. Exotic in Milford has someone locally that supplies him with TR, Magic Pet has a contact and most everyone they sell are TR.

I have a setup running and new stock coming in this week. But like a what is already out there, they are jouv's so it will be a while.

Ron, you said
And they are sold young enough to sex themselves
. Where did you read that? I don't recall reading that anywhere.

Ron, you said . Where did you read that? I don't recall reading that anywhere.

I talked to a few local shops trying to figure it out. The wild cought BC are usually about 9-12 months old. (thats the best answer I get from 6 different stores).

Back