Bare bottom,how do they work???

specialreef

So since ive been browsing around ive noticed some tanks actually have bare bottom tanks,but My question is how would someone make them a successful reef without a sand bottom? What do they depend on? For example:more maintainence or more devices?

Could i get some success storys here,some details,opinions?

the basic idea is to use lots of water movement, and to skim wet. the idea is that detritus is removed from the system before it can begin to be brokendown. high flow low in the tank keeps the detritus from settling, and in theory it is carried out of the display through the overflow, and then removed from the system through the wet skimming.

BB can be successful if it is done right, but it can be a disaster if it's setup incorrectly. just like any setup, they have good uses, and not so good uses. IMO/ IME BB's work best for an SPS dominated setup.

HTH :thumbsup:

I have been BB for a year. I would not go back to a sand bed. High flow and a strong skimmer. You feed heavy and export heavy without the concerns of stuff sitting and rotting which could release phosphate compounds.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9280153#post9280153 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dkh0331
I have been BB for a year. I would not go back to a sand bed. High flow and a strong skimmer. You feed heavy and export heavy without the concerns of stuff sitting and rotting which could release phosphate compounds.

High flow and a big skimmer have nothing to do with BB. ALL tanks, IMO, should have high flow and a big skimmer. The stuff above is simply good husbandry practices, barebottom or not.

I have a DSB, run over 100x turnover, and run a skimmer that could handle a 300g tank, on a 58g.

So rich would you say your DSB does anything for your setup?As if you would have the same turnover etc. but not the DSB,would there be a difference?

maybe. I dont know though, because I'd never run a tank without a big skimmer and high flow.

I was just saying that good husbandry and nutrient export is not limited to Barebottom, contrary to what the barebottom people will tell you.

I hear you. Thanks. One more question for you Rich, and i just want to see your opinions/method so how do you skim wet or dry? No right or wrong,im a newbie i just want to know.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9280675#post9280675 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by specialreef
I hear you. Thanks. One more question for you Rich, and i just want to see your opinions/method so how do you skim wet or dry? No right or wrong,im a newbie i just want to know.

I skim on the wet side.

Not because I think its any better, but it keeps my skimmer neck cleaner, which keeps my skimmer working well for a couple of extra days. If I skim dry, the neck is filthy within 48 hours, and performance is decreasing at that point.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9281180#post9281180 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
I skim on the wet side.

it keeps my skimmer neck cleaner, which keeps my skimmer working well for a couple of extra days. If I skim dry, the neck is filthy within 48 hours, and performance is decreasing at that point.

LOL, I thought I was the only one that was just being lazy about cleaning the skimmer neck that did this :D

An important aspect of "proper BB flow" is how your rocks are laid out. You could have all the flow in the world, but if it cant get under, inbetween, over, and behind your rocks, detritus could collect somewhere.

As for 3600gph being enough for a 90bb, I doubt it.

Im at 9500gph in my 90g, but if i were you, i'd shoot for a minimum of 60-70x turn over.. get closer to 5000-6000gph and I think your detritus will have a hard time finding places to settle.

Back