Barebottom tanks with rocks directly on glass.... Let's see 'em!

MeuserReef

Welcome to the next level
I will be running my new 120 barebottom and will be foregoing any starboard or other materials on the bottom. The bottom glass in my tank is tempered so I dont think there will be any issues with my rocks sitting directly on the bottom glass. Im going for a "low profile" rockwork anyway and will likely have only about 60-70 lbs. of rock in a 120.

I would like to see some more of the barebottom tanks out there that have the rocks sitting directly on the glass.

Thanks in advance!

I'm currently running a 120 with a sand bed of about 2-3 inches. I'm planning on slowly siphoning out the sand and going bare bottom in due time. My main rock work all have flat bottoms since I quick-creted most of my rock before setting up the tank up.

I'll follow up and post pictures when i start with this.

I would like to see a picture of a complete setup with a bare bottom. I have seen bare bottoms for livestock sales but not a complete setup. That would be interesting.

I'm in the process of setting up a 40br, but I still need to load the pics. Currently 40lbs of base rock directly on the glass, with another 15 to cook from my 10g. Just put a deltec skimmer on last night. Also going sumpless.

I run all my tanks BB, but i have always used hdpe. I would like to try just sitting the rock on the glass, but it makes me nervous.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that the tempered glass will give you any more protection. You will still need to be extremely careful not to have any heavy pressure points sitting on the glass or ever drop a rock. Tempered glass is very susceptible to pressure points (emergency workers use spring loaded punches to easily pop tempered glass in car windows that you would have a hard time kicking out).

Here is mine about two months ago. It has been up since september 08 so a few months.
DSC00745.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14171572#post14171572 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smoothdog
Don't fool yourself into thinking that the tempered glass will give you any more protection. You will still need to be extremely careful not to have any heavy pressure points sitting on the glass or ever drop a rock. Tempered glass is very susceptible to pressure points (emergency workers use spring loaded punches to easily pop tempered glass in car windows that you would have a hard time kicking out).

I have to agree here. I work in the glass industry and although tempered is strong against an impact, if that impact is in a small area, such as a small protrusion on a rock, and it hit the bottom, it could shatter. I have a bare bottom tank but wouldn't dream of doing it without the HDPE covering it. It is cheap insurance to help guard against breaking the bottom.

I epoxied all rocks together, no falling.

Seems no one has one because they're all broken...

Mines not, why reply with sarcastic comments. The person is asking for photos if you do not have something constructive or useful to say, why say it.

I have seen many BB tanks and not one uses HDPE. I would say that HDPE base is the exception rather than the rule. That being said I have also never heard of the bottom busting out of one.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything though.

I've had nothing but bare bottom tanks for almost 12 years and I've had plenty of rocks fall and...nothing. Live rock is just not that dense.

well it had sand initially but I removed it. got a little unstable after removing the sand under the rocks but minor rearranging fixed that. doesn't hurt its only a 30g.
30gallonsetup102.jpg

Thanks for all of the input guys (and gals?)! My new tank is going to have 3 or 4 pillars of rocks and Im thinking that I could use a piece of Porcelain tile (12"x12") under each pillar. This would keep the weight dispersed (no point loading)

Anyone using Porcelain in their tanks? I remember a guy posting once that had it in use for years without any ill effects (in theory.. Porcelain is inert) to his tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14173910#post14173910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seagirl
you could use a sheet of think HDPE instead of the porcelain. you can get a 2'x4' piece of 1/16" thick for $7.89 from usplastics. Shipping isn't bad either.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...e=USPlastic&category_name=72&product_id=10369
Yeah.... but Ive had bad results with the HDPE before. Not the plastic itself, but the nasties that get under it. Silicone doesnt bond to it so its hard to prevent stuff from (eventaully) getting under it.

If I used the porcelain, I could keep it limited to the area just under the rocks, simply to prevent point loading the glass.

Heres a pic of the tank I mentioned above. Not really sure how long its been running.

10n5029.jpg

I wouldnt use as much as this guy did.

Back