Based on this pic, do you know what happened?

ZHB

Hi

Based on this pic, do you know what happened to this acro?

Tank info,
SG 1.025+
Ca 420
Mg 1230
ALK 7

A week ago, this acro started STN. The first peeled tip shows pink bone. The TN spread around fairly slowly.

All other corals look normal in the tank, and even the other part of this STN acro looks normal, still have great PE several cm away.

Comments welcome!

175801IMG_1305_sss.JPG

Alk is low IMO. I keep mine at usually 9-10. ??? Like was said before. Bugs? Flow?

alk is not low . Can you give a little better idea of what you have changed in the tank in the past 4 weeks to 2 months . Any new additives you may have tried ,changes in salt brand . Age of light bulbs ?

John

Thanks, all.

In the past two months:
- Flow not changed
- Light not changed. 250W Solarmax X 2, 10K/14K (4 months)
- Got some unlucky issue with salt. Oringally with RC, but the ALK is too high, normally 12+ dkh. Decided to change. After finish the last barrel, tried a joint venture brand whick claims "ok", however, the Mg is unbelievably 900 at 1.026. (Speechless) Changed to Red Sea Pro. But the lower Mg issue could be lasting for 2 or 3 weeks as I don't test Mg frequently.

Some thoughts of mine for discussion,
- during the low Mg period I did see some base recession, but didn't look like that in the picture. And the base recession happened to several acros, but stopped after issue solved. Only this one got issue like that. Does low Mg have lagger effect on some perticular acros?
- This TN doesn't look like bitten mark to me. (I cann't find the signs of bugs in the tank) If it's a bug issue, it must be caused by some new sorts other than AEFW and RB.
- I feel it more like a kind of infection (pink skeleton). But really don't have the relevant knowledge to make sure.

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

I would have to say if your alk was 12 + then you had a sudden drop to 7 that this is most likely your cause . The pink skeleton may just be regrow .

John

The alk MIGHT be low. Some test kits are unreliable, and I know of some examples where the readings are as much as one full point off.

That being said, low alk usually manifests itself as STN from the BASE of the coral.

It could be that you're making too many simultaneous changes to your water chemistry. Let things stabilize for a while, and then change just one parameter at a time .... SLOWLY.

The ALK was reduced 1 dkh per day, it could be a bit quick. But the level is what the ZEOguide recommends, so maybe it's ok for ZEOsystem?

It seems that can do nothing but wait. Hope i will not lose the entire piece which has been with me for a while.

IF your Mg was really 900 your Ca levels were probably not stable. Coupled with rapidly moving alk can cause exactly what you are seeing. Happened to me in my frag tank. I stopped most of the recession by stabilizing the Mg then slowly(much slower than 1dkh/day) brought my levels back. Just be careful not to introduce any more stressors to the system (like temp spike or kalk overdose. Don't ask me how I know...)

Sounds like you're using zeo and just changed salt brands (2 times in 2 months?) too quickly? I'd imagine that could have something to do with it if so.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12253497#post12253497 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ZHB
Decided to change. After finish the last barrel, tried a joint venture brand whick claims "ok", however, the Mg is unbelievably 900 at 1.026. (Speechless) Changed to Red Sea Pro.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12258814#post12258814 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Philwd
IF your Mg was really 900 your Ca levels were probably not stable. Coupled with rapidly moving alk can cause exactly what you are seeing. Happened to me in my frag tank. I stopped most of the recession by stabilizing the Mg then slowly(much slower than 1dkh/day) brought my levels back. Just be careful not to introduce any more stressors to the system (like temp spike or kalk overdose. Don't ask me how I know...)

Thanks for sharing.

The low Mg issue was caused by a ridiculous saltmix, and lasted for several weeks unconsciously. The status deterioration speeded up in the later part of that period, and actually that's why i tested the water.

After found the Mg issue, I did a mass water change and added Mg powder to bring the Mg level to 1100, as I thought if I didn't I could lose all of them. But I know it's a bit too quick.

But this strange thing is, the Mg issue was solved about 3-4 weeks ago, and has been stable so far. The TN of this piece started in last week. That's why I asked is there any lagger effect of low Mg issue.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12258892#post12258892 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PSam
Sounds like you're using zeo and just changed salt brands (2 times in 2 months?) too quickly? I'd imagine that could have something to do with it if so.

Yes. Unexpectedly.
The RC give a 12+ ALK which is too high for Zeo. And a sino-german JV produces a REEF saltmix with only 900 Mg......

Back