basement to 1st floor pump

becon776

Hey guys, need to pick your brain. Getting R.o. system in basement (FINALLY) and am gonna do a brute or something to catch water and also prob for water changes.
so I am going to have my water supply downstairs and tank setup on the first floor. What pump can I use that is not going to destroy my wallet?? I probably have 9-12' of head.

p.s. I cant drill down to basement as I have hvac duct right below tank.

I have more questions than answers:

Is it possible to reroute your air duct?
How are you planning to plumb? (pipe width is a key variable in calculating headloss)
How much abuse can your wallet handle before it destructs?

I suspect this is more than you're interested in spending, but if you already have an apex controller you could do automated water changes with a neptune DOS. The advantages are that 1) you'd only need to run a RO tube through your floor, and 2) continuous automated water changes are awesome.

If you have room for the larger plumbing that a pressure rated pump would require, I'd head down the path of a basement sump. Sometimes you can pick up a blueline 55 for $100-150 on the used forums, or an Iwaki 55 for under $200.

for water changes I would run a diaphragm pump- they can do many floors of head pressure and only cost ~$70 as I remember- shurflow is the best brand for the money- make sure you get the AC version. I would run a line of RO water to the tank for easier top off. The lines are small enough to run through ducting- that is how I set up mine. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2567425

And I would highly recommend the automatic water changes- makes it so much easier to stabilize tank parameters. And all you really need is a timer and a float switch.

Auto change is down the line a bit. I am really trying to avoid carrying buckets.
No plumbing. Looking for a pump to connect python to. This is all about getting rodi up and running. Duct work def cant be moved. Wallet os already very unhappy

No.... for a few reasons.
1. there is only one logical place for the tank e.g. the "perfect spot" and right below that are 2 return ducts. Taking up the entire space between joists. It would be a cob job without moving around the ducts. Pita
2. I have a hanging main and no sump. Any water spilled on the floor ineed to shop vac up.
3. the basement runs cold. Good in summer i guess. But right now no bueno.
Its not a bad basement and was finished when i moved in (no longer due to water damage)
I just want to get the r.o. in place. Bc brace yourself.... i have been using tap! Hahaha. So get the r.o. in place (enough of a pita my waste line needs to be plumbed to the first floor bathroom or id have to have my laundry tub pump going all day.) and if i get motivated then i will still need the big mag for a return. So wont go to waste.

Auto change is down the line a bit. I am really trying to avoid carrying buckets.
No plumbing. Looking for a pump to connect python to. This is all about getting rodi up and running. Duct work def cant be moved. Wallet os already very unhappy

This sounds exactly like how we do our water changes. Python hooked to utility sink (downstairs). I run the utility sink just long enough to start a siphon and then siphon out as much water as we want to change out. Then the end of the python gets hooked up to our saltwater mixing barrel (32 gallon brute) which has a Sicce Syncra Silent 3.5. It has 12.5 ft max head, and it works...slooowwlwy. Wife has me looking for something a little beefier so it doesn't take so long (haha, I saw your other post looking for a Mag, that's the same pump I've been thinking of! :bounce3:).

rodi I just haul up in a 5 gallon container, but some day I might get ambitious and run some 1/4" line upstairs. It wouldn't be too hard in our house.

Suggestion....tossing this general advice out there

Suggestion....tossing this general advice out there

If you have a basement sump you should be doing water changes in the basement.

Mags are not the best choice for a main pump in high head applications (ie pumping water from basement to another floor)

lol... ok. So. My tank sump is in stand NOT in basement for reasons 1,2,3 above. And all the basements in this neighborhood are all dry as bone and so have no house sump in basement.

Ok got the mag 12... it pumps.. slowly, but acceptable... i will put water change water into sump instead of into tank as that 3 more ft of head.

Lets see how this mag 12 works out. Nice seein u still on here brother! We gotta catch up at some point!

Back