battery backup

codydemmel4

does anyone have any battery backups they suggest to use?

I really would like one just to power the heaters (2 -300w) and one gyre pump in case of a power outage that may last 1-2 days in the winter.

eventually I want to get a generator but funds are short right now since I just bought a house :)

I ran two APC battery backups during Hurricane Matthew and neither would run a simple heater and one pump for more than about 45 minutes. Pretty much worthless IMO because the only thing that will run for several days is a generator.

APC and cyberpower make decent ones, but runtime will be limited depending on load. You'll want one that puts out a true sinewave on battery and not a simulated sinewave (They are a little more spendy.) The cheapo ones that use a modified sinewave will cause your pumps to behave erratically on battery. Likewise if you get a generator down the road, get an inverter lieu of a regular generator. Power is much cleaner.

800w Inverter to your car battery. UPS is okay for a 7w tunze power head for hours but 600w of heating may require a 62 amp hour battery for just one hour of use.

Unless your in a location where you cant use one . a Small Generator is your best bet. If you live in a APT a Propane powered one is what i would recommend .

Mine can run most of our house for over 2 days on a 40 lb propane tank . Shoot the ac water heater and cloths dryer . its 6kw

Unless your in a location where you cant use one . a Small Generator is your best bet. If you live in a APT a Propane powered one is what i would recommend .

Mine can run most of our house for over 2 days on a 40 lb propane tank . Shoot the ac water heater and cloths dryer . its 6kw

What she said.

Penn-Plax makes a bubbler airpump that will come on ONLY in event of power failure. Just have a plentiful supply of batteries to keep feeding it. As for a heater---if your power goes out, as long as your can keep your tank around 68 degrees, no lower than 62.1, it'll be fine for days: the rocks and sand hold heat, and that's where your fish will congregate. Plus cooler water holds more oxygen for the fish. Corals likewise will survive. The thing you're most going to lose is worms.

I used to have one on a 15 watt tunze pump pointed at the surface this is good enough to keep the water oxygenated during an extended blackout

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Back