Battling Algae with Inverts

yeldarbj

I had to remove my foxface rabbitfish a couple months ago because it developed a taste for some corals. Since then, I've developed a small algae problem on my live rock, mostly a couple varieties of red algae and a few spots of green bubble algae. I probably had this algae before but the foxface was keeping it all in check and it was not noticeable.

I've got a cleanup crew consisting of about a dozen scarlet reef hermits, ~20 astraea snails, a few cerith and nerite snails, a large serpent star, and an emerald crab. The tank is 65g, 0 nitrates, 0 phosphates tested with Salifert kits.

I don't want to add another fish so I want to use additional cleaners to help battle the algae. I was thinking of adding:

Mexican Turbo Snails
Tuxedo Urchin
More Emerald Crabs

What other invert suggestions do you have?

Urchins eat coralline and just about anything else they mow through. SO be careful.

I've had allot of luck with Nerite snails. Liveaquaria had a real good sale on them just recently.

I read some about urchins eating coralline. Most of my liverock is totally encrusted in coralline, so I'm guessing I could give up some if it would also eat some of the other algaes.

Any comments from a tuxedo urchin owner?

tuxedo's are great. I dont have alot of coralline but i can see him mow through the hair algae. Id get two of them. Out of all the urchins these are the least destructive

Back